cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Intel SSD 530 not seen on OS install screen - ASRock C2750D4L

JLind13
New Contributor

I have spent the whole day struggling with my new NAS build before I found this thread.

The SSD shows up as it should when I cold boot the server, trying to install OS from a UEFI USB key and poff, the drive is gone. I don't know how it would behave with a OS installed as it's impossible for me to install Windows Server 2012 R2 on it.

Cold Boot:

In the Boot Menu I choose to boot from "UEFI: My USB key" where the Win Server 2012 R2 install is located. At this point the SSD is listed as "P0: INTEL SSDSC2BW180A4". It doesn't show up twice as a UEFI drive. (Don't know if it should.)

Installation starts but when I get to the point where I should choose where to install WS, I get the message that no drives where found.

If I then exit the installer (server will reboot), the SSD is gone from the Boot Menu and the Bios can't find it either.

If I however boot into the UEFI Console or to the empty SSD, I can Ctrl+Alt+Del the machine and the SSD will still be there in the Boot Menu and in the Bios.

I have tried everything I can think of!

• Load drivers in Windows Server installer
  • Disable Fast Boot
  • Disable Hot Plug
  • Tried another SATA port.
  • Set SATA speed to Gen 2 (force sata 2 on the sata 3 port)
  • Disable SATA Aggressive Link Power Mgmt
  • Tried all different combinations of Legacy / UEFI CSM settings I can think of.

From the original Bios settings, this is what I changed only for my liking:

• Enabled Hard Disk S.M.A.R.T
  • Set Bootable Marvell 9230 SATAIII mode to None

Here's my hardware spec:

ASRock C2750D4I motherboard (BIOS/UEFI v1.80, BMC v0.14.0)

Intel 530 180GB SSD v.DC32, plugged in to first sata 3 port on intel controller (tried the second port as well with same problems)

2 x 2GB PC10600 DDR3 ECC

The SSD had DC12 firmware when I got it, but the first thing I did after I found this thread was to update it to DC32 but that didn't solve my problems.

I have reported this to ASRock as well with a link to this post and I would be more than happy to help ASRock and Intel to sort this out.
38 REPLIES 38

JLind13
New Contributor

I'm actually surprised that almost a week has gone by and not a single answer in this thread.

Anyway, I've been in contact with ASRock support and they tested with a Kingston SSD without a problem and I tested myself with a WD Red 4 TB drive without any problems, leading to believe that it is in fact the 530 180GB SSD that is faulty.

I really hope that Intel is taking this seriously and tries to recreate my problem, as well as others.

I read the other thread about the DisplayPort bug and I'm hapy to see that Intel was able to reproduce the conditions. But if these drives really is super sensitive to power, maybe I should post some more info.

I'm using the Silverstone SFX ST45SF-G 450W PSU, live in Sweden so it's on 230v.

The 530 drive is connected directly to the PSU with the supplied cable and I'm also using one of the two 90 degrees SATA cables that comes with the ASRock card connected to the first SATA 3 port on the Intel controller of the motherboard.

Hi Jensl,

Sorry for the delay in acknowledging your report.

I think I need to move this report to a new thread since it's not solved by the DC32 update and is not restricted to problems coming out of sleep.

I'm attempting to acquire an C2750D4I for testing.

I'm sure your drive is new, but it might help if you try doing a Secure Erase on your SSD and then retry the install.

You can find instructions for doing a Secure Erase using Linux here:

http://www.thomas-krenn.com/en/wiki/SSD_Secure_Erase SSD Secure Erase - Thomas Krenn Wiki

I'll update this thread when I can get my hands on a C2750D4l.

Hi Ken. Is any news about problem with detecting SSD after sleep?

Petr

Hi, I am new in this comunity.. I have just bought an intel 530 240 gb even though I read that it has this problem with restarting... if you resolve this problem I would be gratefull to get a replay through e-mail... Thanks intel