Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Intel SSD 530 problem after OS Shutdown

TTay
New Contributor

Hi kford-Intel,

My motherboard is ASUS Z87-Pro and the BIOS version is 1504

Intel 530 SSD 240GB SSDSC2BW240A401(Received through RMA by Intel)

Windows 8 Pro 64bit

i7 4770K (stock)

G.Skill RipjawsX DDR3 2133 16GB

After cloning the replacement SSD through the Intel SSD Toolbox, was prompt that I can start using it. On restart the SSD was missing in BIOS and Windows too.

I had to unplug the power cord and also all USB devices and leave it for half an hour and reconnect all the USB devices and power on the PC. At start-up BIOS detected the Intel SSD, double click my "Computer" the Intel SSD was present.

To test if BIOS and Windows would detect my Intel SSD after doing a "restart"; yes it was detected during three "restarts".

To see what happens when I have the PC shutdown for 5 minutes and power on again, this time both, BIOS and Windows could not detect the Intel SSD but my Samsung EVO 120GB where I installed my Windows 8 Pro is always detected by BIOS and Windows.

If I want BIOS and Windows to detect the Intel 530 SSD ( which is still connected in my PC ) ;- waiting for some miracle to happen, I will have to unplug the power cord and everything mentioned earlier, and leave it for 30 minutes then power up the PC and it will be recognized by BIOS and Windows.

Hope you can come up with a solution.

Seems like the Intel SSD couldn't wake up or lock up after PC power off.

BTW I have my motherboard replaced (new same model) and also changed a new Corsair RM650 PSU yet nothing seems to work.

Hope this helps you in your quest for a new firmware to solve all this problem.

Thank you.

38 REPLIES 38

KenF_Intel
Contributor

Hi Redot,

As you can see, I've branched this off to a new discussion. Your symptom is different from the one discussed where you originally posted this one.

The specs for the Z87-pro show two SATA controllers. Which controller is the 530 on? You might want to try moving it to the other controller or even a different SATA port on the same controller.

In essence, this sounds like a timing problem when coming out of the shutdown state (S5). Have you reported this to ASUS? A BIOS fix might be necessary.

Hi kford,

It was on the Intel controller and I have also tried placing it on (from SATA port 1 to 6) and its not recognized once I shut down the PC completely. I need to unplug the Power cord and leave it for about half and hour and reconnect, only will BIOS recognizes it.

No I have not reported it to ASUS. The thing is my Samsung EVO 840 120 GB SSD always shows up.

Guess if a new firmware for the Intel 530 SSD will fix this hopefully.

Hi Redot,

We can certainly wait for the firmware update to see if it fixes your issue as well, but I'm not optimistic.

The way the drive is handled during a Shutdown is different than during a Restart. The problem we are working on is for Restarts.

Your description is very interesting. I can't imagine why you would need to disconnect power for 30 minutes before powering up. I've never seen a board that took more than 1 minute to discharge all the capacitors on the board once the power is removed.

I encourage you to report this to ASUS. I don't have a Z87-pro board to test with, but will check around to see if we can find one.

A couple of things to try that might help us figure out what's going on:

1. Shutdown your system. Remove power for 5 minutes. Don't disconnect anything. What happens?

2. Disconnect all USB devices except keyboard/mouse before shutdown. Shutdown and see what happens (don't disconnect power).

I know you have the Samsung SSD in your system. Any other HDD's?

TTay
New Contributor

Hi kford,

I was actually following some one in other Forums, who mentioned to disconnect power for 30 minutes before restart.

Did as you suggested for 1) this is what happened:

http://i46.photobucket.com/albums/f140/Luxbright/IMG_12811_zpsa9bfd8ae.jpg http://i46.photobucket.com/albums/f140/Luxbright/IMG_12811_zpsa9bfd8ae.jpg

Intel SSD not detected

as for 2) Intel SSD also not detected

I have a Nvidia Qaudro 2000 card connected via Display Port cable and I have to unplug it otherwise power in the capacitors will not discharge.

I also have two HDDs installed in my PC

Tks.