Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Intel SSD 530 problem after OS Shutdown

TTay
New Contributor

Hi kford-Intel,

My motherboard is ASUS Z87-Pro and the BIOS version is 1504

Intel 530 SSD 240GB SSDSC2BW240A401(Received through RMA by Intel)

Windows 8 Pro 64bit

i7 4770K (stock)

G.Skill RipjawsX DDR3 2133 16GB

After cloning the replacement SSD through the Intel SSD Toolbox, was prompt that I can start using it. On restart the SSD was missing in BIOS and Windows too.

I had to unplug the power cord and also all USB devices and leave it for half an hour and reconnect all the USB devices and power on the PC. At start-up BIOS detected the Intel SSD, double click my "Computer" the Intel SSD was present.

To test if BIOS and Windows would detect my Intel SSD after doing a "restart"; yes it was detected during three "restarts".

To see what happens when I have the PC shutdown for 5 minutes and power on again, this time both, BIOS and Windows could not detect the Intel SSD but my Samsung EVO 120GB where I installed my Windows 8 Pro is always detected by BIOS and Windows.

If I want BIOS and Windows to detect the Intel 530 SSD ( which is still connected in my PC ) ;- waiting for some miracle to happen, I will have to unplug the power cord and everything mentioned earlier, and leave it for 30 minutes then power up the PC and it will be recognized by BIOS and Windows.

Hope you can come up with a solution.

Seems like the Intel SSD couldn't wake up or lock up after PC power off.

BTW I have my motherboard replaced (new same model) and also changed a new Corsair RM650 PSU yet nothing seems to work.

Hope this helps you in your quest for a new firmware to solve all this problem.

Thank you.

38 REPLIES 38

Thanks for the info.

The monitor connected to DisplayPort should not be keeping your board active with the power disconnected.

I wonder if the power feedback from the monitor is part of the problem here.

Do you have a different monitor you could try?

TTay
New Contributor

Hi ken-intel,

According to the the technician I bought my MB from it"s normal for the current to go to the MB from the Nvidia Quadro 2000 GPU .

But the thing is, why isn't the Samsung EVO not behaving like the Intel 530 SSD.

And I see many people using the Intel 530 SSD having either cold boot or reboot issue.

Hope you can come up with a solution.

Tks.

Hi Redot.

OK, we can wait for the FW fix for the restart problem identified in the other thread, but I'm not sure it will fix your problem since your problem is with a shutdown.

I tested my 530 SSD on several systems and was not able to reproduce the behavior you are seeing.

I still think testing with a different monitor or by connecting your monitor to a different port (DVI, HDMI etc.) could be helpful in diagnosing this behavior. It may be normal for power to feedback through the Nvidia 2000, but is definitely not desirable.

I understand your point about the Samsung not having a problem. Hopefully understanding what is causing the behavior will allow us to understand why the drives act differently.

TTay
New Contributor

Hi ken-Intel,

Thank you, will wait for the FW fix and hope my issue can be fixed.

KenF_Intel
Contributor

Hi Redot,

The new firmware for the Intel® SSD 530 Series is now available.

Windows* users can download version 3.2.0 of the Intel® Solid-State Drive Toolbox at:

https://downloadcenter.intel.com/Detail_Desc.aspx?DwnldID=18455 https://downloadcenter.intel.com/Detail_Desc.aspx?DwnldID=18455

(Firmware updates are part of the Toolbox download).

After installing the new version of the Toolbox, simply click the Firmware Update button to start the update process.

Non-Windows users can download version 2.0.9 of the Intel® Solid-State Drive SATA Firmware Update Tool and User Guide at:

https://downloadcenter.intel.com/Detail_Desc.aspx?DwnldID=18363 https://downloadcenter.intel.com/Detail_Desc.aspx?DwnldID=18363

Instructions for using the Firmware Update tool are in the User Guide.

Please let me know if this fixes your issue by posting a comment to this thread.