cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Intel SSD 530 startup problems - Bug in SSD?

ajoha7
New Contributor II

I just bought an Intel SSD 530 240GB to replace my Intel SSD510 for my HP Elitebook 8460p.

When i cold-start my computer everything is fine, but when I restart my computer from within a freshly installed windows-7, the drive is not found.

If i turn off the computer and start it again, the drive is found and boots up again as usual. So the drive fails after reset.

I have upgraded the firmware of the SSD to the latest version via the SSD toolbox but still no luck. also updated laptop bios to latest version.

I had no problems in the past with the Intel SSD 510 edition.

Any ideas on what to do?

Clarification:

So, when I insert my Intel 510 SSD and start windows and restart windows it works without problem. But with the Intel 530 it wails when I do restart, the BIOS does not find it after a normal reset. So that must conclude that the Intel SSD 530 has some bug? or is sensitive to some timing issue?

Should I return it? or just assume its incompatible with my laptop?

Message was edited by: andy johansson (added some clarification at the end)

216 REPLIES 216

Jose_H_Intel1
Valued Contributor II

Hello niklas,

I am sorry for the issue you encountered.

In order to clarify the issue the best recommendation will be testing the Intel® SSD 530 in a different computer.

Usually OEM BIOS are limited but perhaps you may find the way to disable Fast Boot or enable/increase Hard disk Pre-delay and see if it makes a difference.

I hope the suggestions help.

I am having the exact same problem! I just installed the 180 GB 530 Series a couple of days ago. It is the second drive. The first drive is an Intel X-25M 160 GB. That one always works perfectly, even after restarts. But this new drive will NOT be found in BIOS after a restart. However, it is always found after a complete shutdown and cold reboot. I have it in an Asus G73jh laptop with SATA II When the drive is found, it functions perfectly, and diagnostics (using Intel SSD toolbox) returns no errors. This drive was updated to DC12 firmware version. My laptop does not have an option in BIOS for fast boot or Hard disk pre-delay. Can the SSD BIOS be fixed, or do we need to return these to the vendor?

ajoha7
New Contributor II

I have decided to not fight this SSD bug because I don't find any solution to this and I hope it is some specific issue with just my computer. I will try it in a different computer and hope it works better there. not worth the time fighting!

Its a shame that these kind of bugs still occurs. If you do find some solution, feel free to post here!

Joe, seems to be a problem that many has!

There's no settings that can be set inside the SSD to make it less demanding on the timing? or are there any new firmware coming soon?

My company wants to standardize on Intel SSD's and HP Elitebooks due to the good experience with the X25 and Intel 510 in the past, but this error with the 530 I am in doubt if I dare to go forward or if I should try Samsung or some other vendor instead.

I have disabled fastboot and don't have any other options to set when it comes to delays....