cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Intel SSD 530 startup problems - Bug in SSD?

ajoha7
New Contributor II

I just bought an Intel SSD 530 240GB to replace my Intel SSD510 for my HP Elitebook 8460p.

When i cold-start my computer everything is fine, but when I restart my computer from within a freshly installed windows-7, the drive is not found.

If i turn off the computer and start it again, the drive is found and boots up again as usual. So the drive fails after reset.

I have upgraded the firmware of the SSD to the latest version via the SSD toolbox but still no luck. also updated laptop bios to latest version.

I had no problems in the past with the Intel SSD 510 edition.

Any ideas on what to do?

Clarification:

So, when I insert my Intel 510 SSD and start windows and restart windows it works without problem. But with the Intel 530 it wails when I do restart, the BIOS does not find it after a normal reset. So that must conclude that the Intel SSD 530 has some bug? or is sensitive to some timing issue?

Should I return it? or just assume its incompatible with my laptop?

Message was edited by: andy johansson (added some clarification at the end)

216 REPLIES 216

MStoi
New Contributor

I changed the option in BIOS from AHCI to IDE and it works fine.

RGesc
New Contributor

@michaelstoica: You better check and see if TRIM is working on your new SSD. I think you have to have AHCI enabled for it to work.

Jose_H_Intel1
Valued Contributor II

Would you guys be able to replicate michaelstoica's workaround and let us know of the results?

I have a brand new Probook 450 with a 530 180GB SSD and are havin the exact same issue but if I set it to IDE instead og ahci then it works have not had any other problems but still i would like it to be fixed anyone got a solution, I have tried all of the above Firmware Bios delay Fast boot Drivelock pass on reboot etc nothing helps other the set to ide!

Best Regards Anzac_online

I can confirm that the workaround is working for me, by setting the SATA mode to IDE. But this is an unwanted workaround because I want the AHCI features and advantages.