cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Intel SSD 6 documentation clarification.

DKumm
New Contributor II

What does this statement mean? "Create USB install key and copy over with ISO images into the 'sources' directory."

I've migrated(with Intel software) my Windows10 to the SSD drive but it fails boot. Alternatively I've created a bootable pen drive but any attempts to fix the MBR have not worked.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Santiago_A_Inte
Contributor III

Hi DKumm,

Greetings from Intel® SSD Support.

This is to let you know this case is being closed.

Please feel free to get back to Intel® communities, whenever you might feel necessary.

Have a nice day.

Best regards,

Santiago A.

Intel® Customer Support Technician

Under Contract to Intel Corporation

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6

LeonWaksman
Contributor II

Hi @DKumm​ 

1. In your post, you didn't detailed your configuration (hardware and software), so, my answer will be partial only.
  2. Windows 10 is an UEFI system with UEFI boot structure. This boot structure is connected with the boot drive location.
  3. Therefore if your current system is installed for example on SATA HDD or SSD connected with some cable to board and you want to clone your system to an SSD installed in M.2 slot, the system will not boot.
  4. In this case a clean Windows installation on SSD is advised. Later on, if you wish you may clone only the C: partition from your old disk over the new installed C: partition on the SSD.

Leon

DKumm
New Contributor II

Leon,

Thanks for your reply. I'm running a Intel SSD 6 on a PCI express to M.2 PCIe SSD Adapter card. The SSD drive is sensed in the SATA setting. I can boot in UEFI from the pen drive to install a clean Windows copy but at that point I only get a install that results in copied files but not bootable. It seems to be missing a driver pointing to the SSD drive.

Hi @DKumm​ 

1. Sorry for s late answer. I've missed your post.
  2. I now understand that you are trying to install Windows on the new drive. In case that you are trying to install Windows 10, please follow those steps:
  3. Please prepare your installation media (you need 8GB or greater USB stick), using Microsoft Media Creation Tool: https://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=691209
  4. Your bios should be set to default settings. Enter bios (press F2 during boot) and then press F9 (Y) to set defaults and F10 (Y) to save settings and exit.
  5. With the installation media inserted into slot, power ON your computer and press F10 to get Boot Menu.
  6. In this menu, choose UEFI option of you Installation media.
  7. Follow this tutorial to continue with installation https://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/1950-clean-install-windows-10-a.html
  8. In para. 7 you may enter Product Key from the Microsoft Distribution you bought.
  9. Skip on para. 12 and continue in para. 13. Important, do not format drive where you want to install Windows, rather delete all existing partitions from this drive, till you see one unallocated space.
  10. Press Next and continue with the installation.

Hope that this will help

Leon

JosafathB_Intel
Valued Contributor
Hello DKumm, Thank you for having contacted the Intel® community, I was reviewing your community post and we would like to know if you need further assistance or if we can close this case. In case further assistance is required, we will appreciate if you can provide us with information about your system, SSDs, and your current BIOS configuration in order to try to help you. We will be looking forward to your reply. Best regards, Josh B. Intel® Customer Support Technician Under Contract to Intel Corporation