cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Intel SSD 600p locked in Read-Only Mode

IIrwi
New Contributor II

My 600p SSD got into read only mode. Its just a year of usage. Tried everything Diskpart method , and even IntelMAS command line tool but no use...Also Intel Rapid Storage is not detecting my SSD..​
Please let me know what is the reason for this problem at least and if its fixable.

I have attached SMART Summary below.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Hello, IIrwi.

I contacted you privately to continue with the ticket.

Please check your registration e-mail.

Best regards,

Bruce C

Intel Customer Support Technician

A Contingent Worker at Intel

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5

BrusC_Intel
Contributor III

Hello, IIrwi.

Good day,

Thank you for contacting the Intel Community Support.

I received your ticket regarding the SSD 600p Series being in Read-Only mode, I will be glad to assist you.

Just to make sure, when you say that you tried the Diskpart method, do you mean the "attributes disk clear read-only"?

The SSD seems to be on the latest firmware, was this the firmware on the drive at the moment of the failure?

Regarding the SSD itself, what type of usage or workload was assigned to the unit?

I would also like to know how the unit is connected to the system, directly via M.2 port or some type of enclosure or adapter?

Please generate a system report using the Intel® System Support Utility for Windows and attach the generated file to this thread.

- Download: https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/25293/Intel-System-Support-Utility-for-Windows-

I hope to hear from you soon.

Best regards,

Bruce C.

IIrwi
New Contributor II

Greetings @BrusC_Intel ,

Relying to your questions in order,

• Yes...when I mentioned diskpart method I meant below command only                                  "attributes disk clear read-only" 
  • Yes..I haven't updated SSD firmware after the moment of the failure.
  • Usage is very minimum (home usage work load only).
  • SSD is directly connected to motherboad via M.2 port and it came preinstalled in my acer laptop Product Link .

Also I found some online articles and was able to delete all data and partitions using this Intel® tool but was not able to create a partition after that, I am getting below error (check the image below).
    image I have attached system report below. 

Hope I provided enough information. Thanks for responding. 

Hello, @IIrwi .

Good day,

Thank you very much for the response and all the details.

Have you tried writing zeros on the drive using any particular software?, you mentioned using Diskpart, did you try a "clean all" command?.

If you already tried "Clean All", another option is Killdisk, found in the following article:

- When to run a secure erase or low-level format https://www.intel.sg/content/www/xa/en/support/articles/000006198/memory-and-storage.html

- The free version allows you to run the required type of erase (One Pass Zeros): http://www.killdisk.com/ 

1. Run the software.
  2. Select the appropriate drive.
  3. Click Erase Disk.
  4. Click "Select the all disk space".
  5. Click "Start".

Knowing that the drive came pre-installed, I checked the downloads page for possible firmware updates specific for the 600p SSD or the laptop; there seem to be a few updates available if I'm not mistaken (you are currently on version 1.19 from 07/2018), but none of them mention a possible fix for something SSD related. There is also a firmware update for a different Intel SSD (760p Series).

- Acer downloads page: https://www.acer.com/ac/en/US/content/support-product/7571?b=1

If the drive cannot be recovered via the previous formats mentioned and there does not seem to be something specific from the side of the system manufacturer to address this behavior, the best option is to proceed with the replacement of the unit as there is no particular reason for the drive to enter this state based on the details provided.

Since your system has been in use for a year, I'm not sure if it is already out of the system manufacturer's warranty, you may contact them to double-check this and also if they have any information/reports about a similar issue affecting these drives/systems.

If that is not an option and the product is no longer covered by the system manufacturer's warranty, just let me know if you have something like a copy of the invoice or receipt from the store/website where you bought the system and we can proceed via the SSD warranty (do not provide the invoice here, I will request it privately).

Best regards,

Bruce C

IIrwi
New Contributor II

Greetings @BrusC_Intel ,

I highly appreciate your efforts, yes I have already tired clean all command in diskpart and now as per your instructions I tried Killdisk tool but that too hasn't been successfully. Also tried to update the SSD firmware but it also didn't work. And yes I have the invoice with me and let me know the proceedings to share it with you privately. Hope you can do something from your end.Thanks & Regards.