Rapid Storage Technology
Intel® RST, RAID
2047 Discussions

Intel SSD M2 with Intel RST Premium

blanc-sanglier

I have an Asus Prime B565M-A motherboard running the Intel B365 chipset fitted with two Intel 660p series 1TB M.2 NVMe SSDs on board.  My aim is to get this up running as a RAID1 (mirroring) system. 

I get a problem when I set the SATA mode on the motherboard to 'Intel RST Premium With Intel Optane System Acceleration (RAID)'. I boot into set up from a Windows 10 usb  drive and get to the Windows set up screens. I then try and install the O/S on the M.2 drive and Windows objects saying this is is not a bootable disc. If I change the SATA mode to the Advanced Host Controller Interface (ACHI), Windows installs on the M.2 drive without problem.

Any ideas as to what i am doing wrong?

thnx. bill

0 Kudos
1 Solution
blanc-sanglier
0 Kudos
10 Replies
LeonWaksman
Super User

Hi @blanc-sanglier 

Please follow the Asus guide for RAID installation.

Leon

0 Kudos
n_scott_pearson
Super User

It says it is not a bootable disk because it does not have the device drivers that would indicate so. When installing Windows, when you get to the scene where you are selecting the drive and partition to install Windows onto, you need to load the intel RST drivers. This is the F6FLPY.ZIP file that you see in the list of downloads for RST (and Optane).

...S

0 Kudos
blanc-sanglier

thnx scott, i think i understand what i have got to do now. will try it out next week. bill

0 Kudos
blanc-sanglier

Hi Scott

All sorted now. FYI I used the Intel drivers from the Asus site rather than the Inte site for safety.  Thanks a loy for the steer. bill

0 Kudos
blanc-sanglier

Thanx Leon, I've had a quick read and I think i understand the process now. will give it a try next week. bill

0 Kudos
blanc-sanglier

Hi Leon

All sorted - many thanks for you help. bill

0 Kudos
Vegan
New Contributor I

I suggest using the SSD discretely and get a hard disk and use it for backups. Backup disks in a desktop rig make it easier when Windows needs to be repaired or reset.

0 Kudos
blanc-sanglier

thnx Vegan, thanks for the advice. i really want to set up RAID1 but i am using an onboard hdd and a NAS (hdd) for backup so i am hopefully covered belt & braces. bill  

0 Kudos
Vegan
New Contributor I

windows 10 file history can use a secondary hard disk for fault tolerance. Its one option.

I use 7-zip and make wholesale backups to removable disks. I have a USB cable and old laptop disks make for a handy backup device.

0 Kudos
blanc-sanglier

Hi Vegan - i am up and running and it's all tickety boo. thnx bill

0 Kudos