Intel® Optane™ Solid State Drives
Support for Issues Related to Solid State Drives based on Intel® Optane™ technology, Intel® MAS and Firmware Update Tool

Intel SSD- Pre Failure Alert

AKuma102
Beginner

Hello,

We are experiencing SSD failure in Desktop and laptop's resulting data loss. We need to have some alert mechanism which will help us in proactive replacement/Repair of SSD's.

Is there any Event log created in Windows for SSD prefail ?

0 Kudos
4 Replies
idata
Employee

Hi amitkr,

Thank you for posting in the Intel communities.

You can use the Intel® SSD Toolbox to monitor the drives. This tool allows you to update the drive firmware in case there are newer versions available, monitor the drive health and estimated drive life remaining as well as retrieve the SMART attributes from the SSD for further analysis. I think this tool will help you with this purpose. You can download it from the following site: https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/28111/Intel-Solid-State-Drive-Toolbox?product=80096 Download Intel® Solid State Drive Toolbox

Please let me know if this information answers your concern.

I'll be waiting for your response.

Have a nice day.

Regards,

Diego V.
0 Kudos
AKuma102
Beginner

Hello Diego

Thanks for your reply.

We have around ~20000 SSD's being used in our organization of Intel , Kingston, San disk, Lite-on make. Your provided solution will help us to monitor only single SSD at a time.

We want an alert mechanism where we can monitor health or prefail for all SSD's using windows event log. Currently we are using third party tool(Aternity) to capture windows event log to identify health of hardware and software.

Earlier we were able to do this successfully on mechanical HDD by capturing bad sectors windows event logs, but when we used the same mechanism with SSD it gives us false alert.

Kindly help me in providing the windows event log ID generated before failure of SSD or any solution for monitoring pre failure of SSD's installed on end user machines.

Regards,

Amit Kumar

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hi Amit Kumar,

Thank you for the information.

I understand what you would like to do, however the only way to monitor health status and other details of Intel® drives is through the Intel® SSD Toolbox. There is no way to monitor several drives at the same time as you want to.

I'll investigate however, about this to see if I'm able to find additional information that could help you.

I'll post my findings as soon as possible.

Have a nice day.

Regards,

Diego V.
0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hi Amit Kumar,

I've been investigating about your concern, however I have been confirmed that there is not a tool that performs what you would like to accomplish. The only tool would be the Intel® SSD Toolbox, but as you mentioned, it only works for one drive or several drives that are connected in the same system.

Having said this and considering the fact that you have several drives in different systems, my recommendation would be to look for a third party option that achieves what you want to do.

Regards,

Diego V.
0 Kudos