Intel® Optane™ Solid State Drives
Support for Issues Related to Solid State Drives based on Intel® Optane™ technology, Intel® MAS and Firmware Update Tool
432 Discussions

Intel SSD Toolbox - SSD Optimizer is greyed out for my Intel SSD 750

JJack19
Beginner

Just getting around to completing an install of my 1.2TB Intel 750 as the sole drive for a workstation booting to Win 10 64-bit (X99 ASUS Sabretooth i7-6850K with 16GB). I installed the new 3.4.0 version of Intel SSD Toolbox. Following the install, the optimizer was greyed out and the firmware button indicated that I needed to update. The firmware update button was greyed out, so 3.4.0 would not do a firmware update. Not a problem, I downloaded the ISO and did an update to the newest firmware via the ISO.

Following the installation of the new firmware, I started 3.4.0 and it no longer has the firmware red exclamation point, so that is now corrected with the ISO update. However, the SSD optimize buttons remain all greyed out.

Attached Is an export of the data.

0 Kudos
3 Replies
idata
Employee

Hello 123zorn,

For the Intel® SSD optimizer to work with the Intel® SSD 750 Series there are two requirements that must be met.

1 - You must be running our latest NVMe drivers (https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/26167 Intel® SSD NVMe Drivers).

2 - The drive must be partitioned as NTFS.

Since Windows® 8.1 and 10 have native NVMe* support, it's very possible that your drive may be using the generic drivers provided with the OSm instead of the specific drivers from our download center. In the download provided, you will find an "Installer" folder containing the setup that will add the correct driver to your system. After restarting, you should be able to run the optimizer tool.

Please let us know if this helps.

Best regards,

Carlos A.
0 Kudos
JJack19
Beginner

Thanks for the info. I was unaware of Intel drive specific NVMe drivers required for the 750, the intel driver update tool should probably take this into account when it scans for new and updated drivers (it does not). If you have contact with the intel driver update group, this may be a good suggestion for them to incorporate a check for the NVMe 750 drivers into future driver tool releases...

This did not fix the problem initially, as I installed these drivers and rebooted, with no change in behavior. It is also required that the newest bios be installed. Without the new bios, it was still greyed out. So for future reference to others, if installing the NVMe drivers does not fix the problem, a bios update may be useful to try as well.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

123zorn,

We're glad to hear that the NVMe* drivers and a BIOS update resolved your issue.

I will pass your feedback regarding the driver update notification up to the appropriate channels. If you have any additional questions or issues, don't hesitate in letting us know.

Best regards,

Carlos A.
0 Kudos