cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Intel SSD Toolbox v2.0 : Can't TRIM anymore on XP SP3 32bit, VSS warning

idata
Esteemed Contributor III

Hey all, I was using Toolbox 1.3 without issues. I had the VSS warning but could always go ahaid and trim with 1.3.

Now after installing the new Toolbox 2.0, I have an error message "" and I cannot TRIM anymore, please help!

The system is XP SP3 32 bit, the Volume Shadow Copy (VSS service), is set to manual & is running.

There is no "backup in progress". Also, System Restore is *disabled* in XP control panel (I have no use for this feature).

Please help!

Thank you,

TSR

7 REPLIES 7

idata
Esteemed Contributor III

The error message reported by SSD Toolbox 2.0 is : "Intel SSD optimizer could not run due to the presence of Volume Shadow Copy service data. Likely cause is a backup in progress. Please try again when the backup is finished.".

But if I reinstall 1.3, it works just fine! (even with VSS & System Restore disabled).

Please advise.

Thanks,

TSR

idata
Esteemed Contributor III

(sorry, there is no "edit" on this board and I often forget things ^^;;)

My drive is Intel X-25M 80GB 34nm.

Edit: the 1.3 Toolbox can be gotten here, if other users have the same problem: http://downloadmirror.intel.com/18455/eng/Intel%20SSD%20Toolbox%20-%20v1.3.0.000.msi http://downloadmirror.intel.com/18455/eng/Intel%20SSD%20Toolbox%20-%20v1.3.0.000.msi

idata
Esteemed Contributor III

ok! I found the solution for 2.0 on XP 32bit :

With 1.3, the service "MS Software Shadow Copy Provider" can be disabled and TRIM will work, past the VSS warning.

With 2.0, the service "MS Software Shadow Copy Provider" MUST be running (therefore set to auto or manual) for TRIM to work.

It's annoying to have to load a new service again for something I don't even use (System Restore completely disabled on all discs), only to have TRIM run.

I really wished Intel would let TRIM run directly on XP systems, when the 2 services used for "VSS" are disabled:

- MS Software Shadow Copy Provider

- Volume Shadow Copy Service

On XP, if the user has "System Restore" disabled to start with, please allow TRIM to run, bypassing the VSS check. Thank you.

idata
Esteemed Contributor III

Sure, but how could the toolbox know with 100% certainty that the user did not run some third-party tool that left shadow copy data and that continuing would not have adverse effects?