cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Intel SSD X25-E 32GB not working properly??

idata
Esteemed Contributor III

Hey guys,

i've got a big trouble with my awesome Intel SSD X25-E 32GB.

The SSD was for about 3 years plugged into a Lenovo ThinkPad Edge13, which supports SATA2. Everything runs fine, very awesome and reliable. I was running Linux (Gentoo x86_64).

Today my brandnew Lenovo ThinkPad X230 is delivered an i plugged the SSD into that one. From now the problems begans. The system is very slow, any LiveLinux reports the SSD is only supporting SATA1 and the Link (Controller of X230) reset the speed to SATA1. Then the system goes on, everything worked but a little bit slower. So i don't think the SSD isn't compatible with the X230, because it is recognized and working properly. The speed is the problem.

When i plugged in a SanDisk SSD SATA3 it speeds up the X230 with SATA3 and holyshit...how fast.

Return the SSD from X230 to Edge13 shows SATA2 already. In Edge13 its working properly.

What i do:

- Upgrade X230 BIOS to latest.

- Play with EFI or Legacy BIOS

- Deactivate each useless settings (TPM, AMT, Comptrace, IME, ...)

Everything brings nothing... I don't really know if the low-level-format in linux (hdparm) was working properly, so for now i just ran DBAN because found a Intel sheet.

When this also doesn't work, the i boot up a Windows7 and run the SSD Toolbox, maybe a Firmware-Update is possible...

UPDATE:

I figured out, the problem is AHCI related. In compatible-mode i got SATA2 and speed is ok - not perfect - but ok.

In AHCI it goes back to SATA1 and Linux want to reset the Link. Doesn't work...

WHO TO FIX THIS AHCI-PROB? ANY OTHER HINTS?

8 REPLIES 8

idata
Esteemed Contributor III

The X25-E does not use a SandForce controller, it uses an Intel controller, likely the same one used in all the X25 SSDs.

The ThinkPad X230 comes without an OS? How do you buy it from Lenovo that way? It uses an Ivy Bridge CPU, so uses an Intel 7 series chipset. Windows 7 and 8 are the OS options from Lenovo.

When using Linux, your SATA configuration is in your hands. Using Linux also ends any support from Lenovo. The support personnel will not be trained in Linux. Whatever Linux SATA driver you use, it is not negotiating the SATA speed protocol correctly with the X25-E. That could be a configuration issue, or the BIOS can't work with Linux.

idata
Esteemed Contributor III

I didn't mean the X25-E, but the 520 / 330 or 335 Series. The current one, as i wrote above...

In Germany there're "Student-versions" available without any OS and lot of cheaper than normal people must pay. 😉

I don't really know, if you're understand, while i said "Live-system". There're isn't any system installed at the SSD. It doesn't matter if Windows or Linux is used. With both of it and the X25-E the system is very slow. Linux could tell me SATA1-Link, Windows can't because its Windows...

I formally think this is a bug to Lenovo.

But as i said.. I got a SATA3-SSD from Samsung, so this is fixed for me by changing hardware.

idata
Esteemed Contributor III

It was not clear to me which Intel SSDs you were referring to, since your issue is with the X25-E.

A "Live system" is not used often in the US, and who knows what it's composed of, which may be causing the compatibility problem with the X25-E.

The Intel IRST driver (for Windows) has a UI that will display the negotiated SATA link speed.

FYI, all SanDisk SSDs, at least the models sold in the US, use SandForce controllers. You wrote SanDisk in your first post, and later Samsung, so I don't know if you meant one or the other, or both.

idata
Esteemed Contributor III

Yeah, no problem...

The X25-E is SATA2 and was for the ThinkPad X230. The SanDisk was within my PS3, so i just plugged into the X230 for testing purposes only. SanDisk works ok, SATA3-speed with livesystems/linux. So its just a SATA2-issue with the X25-E.

SanDisk has SandForce, i know, so its only in PS3, what i sell right now in amazon. 😉 I didn't like this controller so after X25-E didn't work, i'm looking for a new one, which has no SandForce, but SATA3. All current Intels have SandForce except DC3700 but its to heavy 😉

So i decided to take Samsung. My friends referes 830 is good, so i will give 840 Pro a chance to make me in love as X25-E does. 😉

Idk the X25-E has problems with livesystems, because i've tests maybe 10. Each is a different distribution (archlinux, gentoo,ubuntu, knoppix, funtoo, debian,, ...) with different kernele and sata-drivers aswell. So in the Edge i'm running kernel 3.7.3 with the same sata-drivers as systemrescuecd (a fork to gentoo with more tools) aswell. In Edge it works, in X230 not. So isn't this a driver-issue? The same drivers, the same X25-E, but differend controllers (series7 vs i945m).

Think this could a problem too, as Intel published some month ago with the series8 or series6 problems in sata. That just a hint.

For me its fixed with a newer faster SSD, so i didn't really need SATA2 anymore...