cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Intel SSD is not attached or disabled.. (but it is...)

idata
Esteemed Contributor III

OK, I'll try to make this as short as possible.

Got a new X25-M 80G OEM... First thing was wanted to check the firmware. Downloaded, made CD, booted with the SSD in place, formentioned message. Thought, hmmm. Maybe it has to be formatted first for some reason. Went back into XP, formatted the drive, tested it with a small file, worked fine, went back to the boot; NADA. Tried a different SATA controller (the external), still nada...

This is on a MSI 790FX-GD70 motherboard if that helps at all.

I'm stuck.. I'm at a loss.

Also, in XP, I use the downloadable Intel Tools to see if there's something it does. None of the buttons work... None what-so-ever. I plan on installing Win7 but I can't until the drive is ready... So... I'm stuck.

7 REPLIES 7

idata
Esteemed Contributor III

I've answered my own question... The readme specifically sais it will work in legacy (IDE) or AHCI mode... This is a LIE! Ok, maybe not but the particulars with the controlller on my motherboard obviously didn't get along. I reverted back to IDE mode and it worked fine.

I was able to update from Firmware 2CV102HA to the new 2CV102HD.

idata
Esteemed Contributor III

I just wanted to add that it also didn't work for me in RAID mode (I have 3 modes in my BIOS: IDE, RAID, AHCI). The firmware update wasn't able to detect the drive until I, as you already stated, changed to the plain-vanilla IDE mode. Thanks.

idata
Esteemed Contributor III

AHCI mode obviously could be the issue on your similar situation. Revert back to IDE, run the upgrade, then change back to AHCI (or whatever other mode you run). Simple solution looking back though not as obvious to us who have been running AHCI for so long we plum forgot about IDE...

idata
Esteemed Contributor III

If you are going to install Windows 7 on your SSD, you did not need to do anything to the SSD, Windows 7 will prepare the drive and have you create a volume and partitions if you desire during the installation. I don't see anything stopping you from installing Win 7 on your SSD now.

Windows XP does not have a native AHCI driver, so unless you installed one, your results when simply enabling AHCI mode will be unknown.

For the Intel SSD Toolbox to work, you need to have .NET Framework V2.0 installed, which does not come with XP. The Toolbox should have prompted you to download that. Problems with the Toolbox and XP are not uncommon.

Attempting to update the firmware in RAID mode will likely fail. FYI, the TRIM command will not be passed to SSDs in RAID mode.

How did you get a "new" X-25M SSD with the old firmware? I purchased one in April of 2010, and it had the latest firmware.

Message was edited by: parsec