cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Intel SSD is not attached or disabled.. (but it is...)

idata
Esteemed Contributor III

OK, I'll try to make this as short as possible.

Got a new X25-M 80G OEM... First thing was wanted to check the firmware. Downloaded, made CD, booted with the SSD in place, formentioned message. Thought, hmmm. Maybe it has to be formatted first for some reason. Went back into XP, formatted the drive, tested it with a small file, worked fine, went back to the boot; NADA. Tried a different SATA controller (the external), still nada...

This is on a MSI 790FX-GD70 motherboard if that helps at all.

I'm stuck.. I'm at a loss.

Also, in XP, I use the downloadable Intel Tools to see if there's something it does. None of the buttons work... None what-so-ever. I plan on installing Win7 but I can't until the drive is ready... So... I'm stuck.

7 REPLIES 7

idata
Esteemed Contributor III

I am in similar "boat" in that I am getting "Intel SSD is not attached or disabled" message when trying to upgrade the firmware to 2.0.1.000. Also, the Intel Toolbox doesn't recognize the SSD as an Intel SSD (all drives are greyed out).

I have the X25-M 80G as my boot drive with Windows 7 64bit, however my motherboard (older Dell XPS600) apparently doesn't have any options to specify IDE/AHCI/etc. I am comfortable letting Windows 7 handle the SSD but think I should upgrade to the newer firmware. I had no problems clean-installing Win7 X64 onto my SSD (during setup I reformatted the 2nd partition using Win7).

Any suggestions for this scenario (no option to toggle AHCI in BIOS) to get the Intel SSD firmware update?

idata
Esteemed Contributor III

Guest wrote:

I am in similar "boat" in that I am getting "Intel SSD is not attached or disabled" message when trying to upgrade the firmware to 2.0.1.000. Also, the Intel Toolbox doesn't recognize the SSD as an Intel SSD (all drives are greyed out).

I have the X25-M 80G as my boot drive with Windows 7 64bit, however my motherboard (older Dell XPS600) apparently doesn't have any options to specify IDE/AHCI/etc. I am comfortable letting Windows 7 handle the SSD but think I should upgrade to the newer firmware. I had no problems clean-installing Win7 X64 onto my SSD (during setup I reformatted the 2nd partition using Win7).

Any suggestions for this scenario (no option to toggle AHCI in BIOS) to get the Intel SSD firmware update?

Have you tried updating your motherboard BIOS? What storage controller does your motherboard have? What does the OS see the Intel SSD as under Device Manager?

I don't believe you need AHCI for firmware updates.

idata
Esteemed Contributor III

I'm confused about several things in your post. It seems you are confusing the Intel SSD Toolbox software release version number with the X-25 M SSD firmware revision number. The SSD Toolbox software and SSD firmware are two very different things.

The SSD Toolbox runs on your PC and is stored in your SSD's or HDD's normal storage area, while firmware is specialized code that is installed and runs on the SSD's onboard controller chip only, there is no user control or interface to it. The Toolbox has a user interface for performing tasks on a SSD, and could have the "grayed out" area you refer to.

In all of the SSD firmware update documentation, no where is "2.0.1.000" seen. The firmware is referred to as either 2CV102HD or 045C8820, generally the latest version. The latest version of the Intel SSD Toolbox is definitely 2.0.1.000, since I use it and that is the version number on it.

I can't comment on what you are actually trying to do until you sort this out for us. The original post is about the SSD firmware, not the Toolbox.

You also have provided very little information about your PC, besides a Dell XPS600.