cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Intel SSD not recognised by Intel Firmware updater, or Ubuntu Live USB, or CentOS boot USB

LMart12
New Contributor

Hi,

I formatted an Intel SSD (details below) and now it's not recognised by the Intel firmware updater or linux boot USBs. Before the BIOS opens, the screen shows:

NVMe detected Intel SSDPEKKW512G7X1

but it doesn't show up in the bootable options. Booting from a USB does not recognise the SSD. Ubuntu Live USB can boot, but only in terminal mode. This eventually gives the error: "nvme nvme0 identify controller failed (-4)". 'fdisk -l' does not show the SSD.

The SSD is connected directly to the motherboard, was working before the formatting, and is:

Intel 600p 512GB 80mm PCIE 3.0 X4 M.2 SSD

SSDPEKKW512G7X1

Is there anything I can do to use it again? Any advice is appreciated, cheers.

(First I would like to confirm that it is a single SSD affected there are no other drives connected, and I have confirmed it is connected correctly to the motherboard. I got the firmware updater from https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/26491/Intel-SSD-Firmware-Update-Tool Download Intel® SSD Firmware Update Tool and flashed this onto a formatted USB disk with FAT32 filesystem. The firmware updater does boot, but after agreeing to the legal agreement, it informs me that there are no Intel drives detected and directs me to remove the drive and shutdown. I am using UEFI for 'storage' in the BIOS. The BIOS does show the drive under the NVMe Configuration advanced options, but selecting this drive shows a blank screen i.e. no available options.)

7 REPLIES 7

idata
Esteemed Contributor III

Hello lewiso1,

Thanks for posting in our communities.In order to better assist you, we would like to know the following:- Was the drive working before (as boot drive or storage device?- What method or tool was used to format the SSD?- Do you have any other system where you can test this drive?- What's your motherboard model?Best regards,Eugenio F.

LMart12
New Contributor

The drive was working for both storage and boot (there are no other drives attached to the motherboard).

I had two partitions on the drive - one wiht Linux Mint and one with Ubuntu. I booted from a Ubuntu Live USB and used the 'parted' tool to format the drive. This was because the graphical interface for the Live USB was not working after a reset, only terminal. The graphics card is an Nvidia Titan Xp, the motherboard does not have a built in vga slot.

Here's motherboard model:

ASUS WS C621E SAGE Dual Socket LGA-3647 EEB Motherboard.

There are no other systems at the moment to test on. If you agree it is faulty and there's no avenues to fix it, I may be able to get a replacement under warranty.

Thanks for the response

Lewis

I got a new SSD and hooked it up the motherboard, then installed Ubuntu. This was only possible by setting all CSM settings in the BIOS to Legacy - I think this 'blocked' the nvme from ever being accessed, which seems to cause a freeze.

So the motherboard is not faulty. Currently trying to update the firmware

idata
Esteemed Contributor III

Hello lewiso1,

Thanks for your reply.Changing the CSM (Compatibility Support Module) Boot option to Legacy should affect boot devices, but you should be able to access NVMe devices as storage/secondary.If at this point the drive is still not recognized, we recommend https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/contact-support.html contacting your local support to https://supporttickets.intel.com/warrantyinfo check for warranty options.Best regards,Eugenio F.