cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Intel Series 520 SSD disappears after failed write

idata
Esteemed Contributor III

I wanted to check if anyone had any thoughts regarding the problem I'm having with the Intel 520 Series SSD drive. I built a new PC this week, so this is a completely fresh install of OS and I just started transferring files and installing software. The problem is that the 480GB Intel 520 series SSD seems to randomly fail on long write cycles, and the drive disappears from the operating system.

Sample scenario:1. Start installing software from DVD to the SSD (target = 480GB SSD drive configured as 😧 drive)2. Installer progresses to some random percentage while writing files3. Installer reports a write failure to disk (D drive). The Windows event log shows "Event ID: 51 An error was detected on device \Device\Harddisk1\DR1 during a paging operation" and the 😧 drive has disappeared from Windows Explorer.4. Restarting Windows will bring the drive back, chkdsk reports no errors on drive.

System configuration:CPU: Intel i7 2700kRAM: 16GB CORSAIR Vengeance DDR3 1600MB: ASUS P8Z68-V PRO/GEN3GPU: EVGA Geforce GTX 680HD0: Intel 520 Series Cherryville SSDSC2CW240A3K5 2.5" 240GB SATA III MLC SSD (C: drive - OS/Apps)HD1: Intel 520 Series Cherryville SSDSC2CW480A3K5 2.5" 480GB SATA III MLC SSD (D: drive - Games/Data)OS: Windows 7 SP1 64-bit

The issue seems specific to long write sequences with the 480GB SSD drive, the smaller 250GB SSD has not had any issues. I have checked the following:1. Both SSDs are connected to the SATA III 6Gb/s interface on the motherboard (grey Intel SATA port)2. AHCI is enabled in BIOS3. All latest drivers for Asus motherboard installed, all Windows updates installed.4. Intel SSD Toolbox v3.0.3 indicates the latest 400i firmware on the SSDs and both quick and full diagnostic scans pass. Drive health is green and no smart errors are reported (unsafe shutdown/power cycle counts seem to go up once every failure).4. Atto disk benchmark default run shows 500-550 MB/s read/write performance for >= 64KB transfer sizes so performance is good. Has anyone else encountered a similar problem or have any suggestions as to how to troubleshoot this? I could RMA the drive, but it seems a bit odd that all drive diagnostics are ok, and I would have expected the full diagnostic scan to trigger the same problem as software installs since it writes across all unused space.

Thanks,Mike
0 REPLIES 0