cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Intel Solid-State Drive FAQ: Read This First!

idata
Esteemed Contributor III

Intel Solid-State Drive FAQ Table of Contents

• Basic Information
  • SSD Optimizations
  • SSD Communities FAQs
  • How-To Videos
  • Resources

Basic Information

What do the digits in each SSD product code designate?

(Click on image to enlarge)

The last two digits labeled "Ordering Information" refer to what comes in the box you've purchased and how many SSDs were shipped in the same box ie

C# drive shipped in a brown box

R# drive shipped in a retail box without a desktop cloning kit

K# drive shipped in a retail box with a desktop cloning kit

The "# " simply states how many SSDs were shipped out together

SSD Optimizations

If you're using Microsoft's Windows 7 operating system, please utilize these system settings to ensure compatibility, endurance, and performance. If you're using Microsoft's Windows XP operating system, please disregard the Superfetch setting.

Make Sure Your SSD Isn't Scheduled for Disk Defragmentation

•If you're using an SSD with Microsoft's Windows 7, the operating system will automatically disable scheduled defragmentation.

•If you're running Microsoft's Windows Vista operating system, navigate to "My Computer".

•Right click on your SSD and choose properties from the drop-down menu.

•Navigate to the "Tools" tab and click "Defragment Now" in the "Defragmentation" menu.

•Near the top, there is a "Schedule" menu. Click "Configure Schedule" and ensure that there is no check next to the "Run on a schedule" option.

•If you're running Microsoft's Windows XP operating system, you must run disk defragmentation automatically. Simply make sure not to run the utility.

•Due to the design of SSDs, disk defragmentation is unnecessary and can even have a negative effect on the endurance of the drive.

Disable Superfetch (For Microsoft Windows Vista and Windows 7)

•On your "Start" search menu, type "services.msc". Scroll down and find the "Superfetch" line, and double click it to open up its properties.

•Change the "Startup Type" to "disabled".

•Superfetch is designed to open your frequently used programs more quickly. However, this technique doesn't speed up an Intel SSD's performance significantly and can ultimately have a negative effect on the performance of the drive. Superfetch is not a feature on Microsoft Windows XP.

Ensure You Have the Proper Drivers Installed

Intel recommends using the Intel® Rapid Storage Technology v.9.6 driver available here:

http://downloadcenter.intel.com/detail_desc.aspx?agr=&ProductID=&DwnldID=18859&strOss=&OSFullName=&l... http://downloadcenter.intel.com/detail_desc.aspx?agr=&ProductID=&DwnldID=18859&strOss=&OSFullName=&l...

This driver enables your Intel SSD to receive the TRIM command natively and automatically. Additionally, it is optimized for performance and endurance.

Intel® SSD Communities Frequently Asked questions General SSD FAQs

Visit this link for a more broad SSD FAQ:

http://www.intel.com/support/ssdc/hpssd/sb/CS-029623.htm http://www.intel.com/support/ssdc/hpssd/sb/CS-029623.htm

Are there any known issues with regards to compatibility or performance?

Known issues are located in the Intel® Solid-State Drive Toolbox Read Me and Firmware Update Tool Guidelines found here:

http://downloadmirror.intel.com/18455/eng/README%20rev11.rtf http://downloadmirror.intel.com/18455/eng/README%20rev11.rtf

<p style="LINE-HEIGHT: ...
31 REPLIES 31

PWert
New Contributor II

Greetings,

I want to install an Intel 80gb SSD (320 series) for use as a system drive with a DH67CL motherboard, an i7-2600k CPU , one other hard drive and WIN 7 O/S. My BIOS was set to AHCI (NOT RAID) when I initially installed the O/S.

The above FAQs state "Ensure you have the proper drivers installed" and references RST v.9.6. It is also goes on to say this will ensure the intel SSD will receive the TRIM command natively and automatically, etc.

A close reading of the latest Rapid Storage Driver downloads (v.10.5.0.1027) indicates to me that RAID must be selected in the BIOS and then a clean reinstallation of the O/S must be accomplished to be able to receive the TRIM command natively.

Is my perception correct? What am I missing? Thanks in advance for your comments!!

idata
Esteemed Contributor III

Peter Wertz wrote:

Greetings,

I want to install an Intel 80gb SSD (320 series) for use as a system drive with a DH67CL motherboard, an i7-2600k CPU , one other hard drive and WIN 7 O/S. My BIOS was set to AHCI (NOT RAID) when I initially installed the O/S.

The above FAQs state "Ensure you have the proper drivers installed" and references RST v.9.6. It is also goes on to say this will ensure the intel SSD will receive the TRIM command natively and automatically, etc.

A close reading of the latest Rapid Storage Driver downloads (v.10.5.0.1027) indicates to me that RAID must be selected in the BIOS and then a clean reinstallation of the O/S must be accomplished to be able to receive the TRIM command natively.

Is my perception correct? What am I missing? Thanks in advance for your comments!!

TRIM is supported by the RST driver in ACHI or RAID mode. The SSD just cannot be a member of an array. You can actually switch between AHCI and RAID mode fine since RAID drivers is a superset of Intel's AHCI driver.

A clean install of the OS is not needed for TRIM support. Windows 7 should detect a disk with 0RPM and enable the TRIM function. You can run "fsutil behavior query disabledeletenotify" on command line and make sure "DisableDeleteNotify = 0". This will confirm the OS is passing the TRIM function to the disk driver. If you are using Intel drivers, your SSD supports TRIM, and the SSD is not in an array, TRIM will work.

Would you be able to quote the misunderstanding? Maybe I can help clear it up for you or get the document updated if is ambiguous.

idata
Esteemed Contributor III

This excellent piece is out of date and needs to be updated. For example, it has links to old drivers.

idata
Esteemed Contributor III

Just an addendum to to Duckie's post, Windows 7 has a native AHCI driver that provides TRIM. It's called msahci, and if you set the SATA mode to AHCI in your BIOS before you installed Win 7, that driver would be loaded. Intel's RST driver has proved to be a bit superior in speed to msahci in benchmark testing, but msahci is very good and would also work very well with your SSD. Given what you said in your post, you have it installed now, unless you have installed RST.

idata
Esteemed Contributor III

i have a SSDSA2M160G2GC but forever my system will say its just a 80GB harddisk

i am pretty sure its a 160GB

help!

thx