cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Intel Turbo Cache phased out: pci-e enabled chipset 5 owners SOL?

idata
Esteemed Contributor III

I'm having a tough time swallowing that intel has abandoned turbo cache on the newer win7 platforms.

If anything, a 4gb ssd would still be useful for a page cache. Could someone tell me if there is an effort underway to develop a driver for existing turbo cache chipsto work with chipsets outside of their intended market?

I recently spent $70 on one of these, and it's useless to me.What an incredible waste of money.
8 REPLIES 8

idata
Esteemed Contributor III

The original Turbo Memory technology was codenamed "Robson". Its successor was to be "Braidwood". You can see traces for it on older P55 based motherboards right next to the memory slots. The cancelled P57 chipset was support this new Turbo Memory feature.

The thing is... no one makes a high-performance 4GB SSD. SSD performance is partially derived from the design of using multiple NAND chips. All of Intel's SSD controllers use 10 channels except the X25-V only uses 5 channels.

Basically, you cannot get high performance SSDs without using multiple NAND chips. Doing so, you are already driving up the price into a "real" SSD range. You can buy a decent 30-40GB SSD for $70 today.

ReadyBoost is avaliable in Windows 7 and Vista and is basically a less aggressive form of Turbo Memory. However, it does not provide much benefit on today's systems with 4GB+ RAM.

Does your system recognize the 4GB SSD? You could allow the OS to use it for ReadyBoost or place your Paging File on it.

idata
Esteemed Contributor III

You are destroying my intelligence with your retarded nonsense.

I have a HM55 Series 5 motherboard and a pci-e 4gb turbo boost mini-ssdand the two are just not compatible. To me this is an abandomentof customers. I want to at least be able to use this chip as an interm readyboost drive(even very inefficently) until i can afford a real embedded ssd drive.Refund me the cost of buying this.. this useless slab of silicon, would you.

idata
Esteemed Contributor III

No need to get insulting. If you don't want to understand the technology or gain insight on the background, then so be it.

If you want assistent, please provide more concise information.

Is this a miniPCIe 4GB card for a laptop? Was it designed for Robeson Turbo Boost? Where did you purchase it from.... aftermarket or OEM?

idata
Esteemed Contributor III

I'm not sure if it's aftermarket or OEM. It is an unlabeled 4gb turbo boost chip

approx .6 inches long. My system couldn't identify it or activate it.According to my seller it is a : 1 of INTEL INTEL HALF HEIGHT TURBO MEMORY NVCPEHWR004G2 4GB PCIE HALF MINICARD - ... $67.29