cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
idata
Community Manager

Intel X-25 M Really Slow Help Needed

Hello guys I am new to SSD drives

basically my write speed on the 80gb x-25 mainstream is really really slow I ran the ssd benchmark

those are my results

I first thought I had so many virsuses so I formatted my pc and whenever I run couple programs and they take too much write speed my system lags so bad thats it just lags and I have to power it off

I have it in my bios on ahci and I have the matrix drivers too and I just dont know what to do my motherboard is

ASUS P5K PREMIUM

http://i43.tinypic.com/2jcj43l.png

-- EDIT 2

I downloaded matrix drivers from asus p5k premium section WRITE SPEEDS ARE NORMAL! however READ speed is now about 130 MB/s instead of 200-250 MB/s

I will update bios if that does not help any suggestions would be apperciated =)

EDIT 3 :

After bios Update Read Speeds Are Maximum 140 MB/s any way to boost that?

0 Kudos
48 Replies
vt5
New Contributor I

Hi, you can try to set to AHCI and run the test again. if it doesn't work, try updating the FW of the drive.

idata
Community Manager

AHCI Is Set

Newest Firmware Is Applied

I will turn off defragment and then run intel optimizer again and see what the result will be

EDIT:

Actually for 1 test I got 250 MB/s result as read and then in 100's again

Picutre link below

http://i40.tinypic.com/aeruh5.png

idata
Community Manager

Why are you using AS SSD in first post and then showing us Crystal Mark? Stick to using one test method and I suggest AS SSD.

It was I who told you to disable or turn off Disk Defragmenter. When taking suggestions from someone, you should reply to that someone if you want that someone to continue helping you.

There were other things I mentioned in my message to you that were not answered. Anyway, run AS SSD and post a picture of what you get.

idata
Community Manager

I already ran the optimizer from intel ssd toolbox

and im not running raid , AHCI ,

whats weaird is that i was getting 250 read before getting the matrix storage drivers

Image From AS SSD

http://i40.tinypic.com/2psn6vt.png

idata
Community Manager

The first thing I suggest is go with AHCI mode. Why are you not running in AHCI mode?

If you need guidance switiching to AHCI mode, here are steps to take:

Tip 3: Enabling AHCI to speed up hard drive operations

The Advanced Host Controller Interface needs to be enabled in the computer's bios. Windows 7 will not load if this is done without ensuring that the AHCI driver is loaded in the operating system (which it is not by default). The benefit of enabling AHCI is that it will speed up read and write operations of the hard drive if the hard drive supports AHCI. It is therefor recommended to check the hard drive first to ensure that it is supporting AHCI.

Here is a step by step guide to enabling AHCI in the Windows 7 Registry.

* Press [Windows R], enter [regedit] and hit [enter]. 

* This opens the Windows Registry editor.

* Move to the path HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINESystemCurrentControlSetServicesMsahci

* Locate the parameter [Start] on the right side and double-click it.

* Change its value from 3 to 0

* Restart the computer and enable AHCI in the bios

Windows will install the AHCI drivers on the next start and prompt for another reboot afterwards.

Source: http://deepmemo.com/pg/blog/JeeSee/read/609549/f-ghacks-technology-news http://deepmemo.com/pg/blog/JeeSee/read/609549/f-ghacks-technology-news

idata
Community Manager

In addition to the above, I suggest using the default AHCI driver, msahci, installed by Windows 7.

OK, I see you have 02HD firmware.

And do your testing with AS SSD--stick with one type of benchmark testing software.

idata
Community Manager

idata
Community Manager

But your last screenshot of AS SSD shows iaStor as the driver--not msahci. Something doesn't quite make sense here. If you have BIOS set to AHCI and msahci driver installed, AS SSD would show msahci as your driver, not iaStor.

idata
Community Manager

I don`t want argument, I`d like to help.

"Something doesn't quite make sense here." Because he installed the Intel Matrix strorage driver from Asus homepage. He should uninstall it to get the msahci driver back.

Anyway you`ve pointed to me twice: "whats weaird is that i was getting 250 read before getting the matrix storage drivers".

Message was edited by: Dverez

idata
Community Manager

You already submitted three replies that offered nothing. I suggested more than once for him to install msahci driver-now you would know that if you read the posts.

Yes, I pointed that twice because you do not read posts that should have been read. How are you going to help when you don't know what is going on?

If you enjoy repeating what I suggested, go ahead if it makes you happy.

idata
Community Manager

TRIM does not work automatically with Intel drivers, so you need to run Optimizer from Intel SSD Toolbox either manually or via a schedule. I assume you are not doing RAID and have Disk Defragmenter disabled or turned off for your SSD.

What is the firmware version installed on your SSD?

idata
Community Manager

Be sure you`ve connected your SSD to "Sata 1" port!

My SSD has max. 140MB/s speed because my chipset is Sata150.

I`d switch off the antivirus program just in case.

idata
Community Manager

I have my main SSD in port 2 without any issues. SATA 150 is not SATA 2, just SATA 1.

He claims to have had over 200MB/s before installing the Matrix drivers, so I doubt the port his SSD is in is any issue.

I guess you didn't see the following in his last post:

"whats weaird is that i was getting 250 read before getting the matrix storage drivers"

idata
Community Manager

I know I`ve Sata 1=Sata 150 no doubt about it.

I`ve just noted it.

From the first post:

"

EDIT 3 :

After bios Update Read Speeds Are Maximum 140 MB/s any way to boost that?".

I`ve no clue why is that happened?

Maybe after the BIOS Update he should`ve load the factory default settings and re-configurate all the settings?

idata
Community Manager

You can't just read the first post in a thread to know what is going on! You should read other posts by the OP to know all that you need to know to help--even better is reading all the posts in a thread, especially when it's as short as this one.

If you read his last post, you would know he said "whats weaird is that i was getting 250 read before getting the matrix storage drivers"

idata
Community Manager

Well after I did the matrix drivers and updated bios I was getting good write speeds but the read went down

and I do have AHCI enabled in my bios

idata
Community Manager

Go back to msahci driver in AHCI mode and see what you get in AS SSD. I believe you have Windows 7 and with msahci driver TRIM runs automatically. After switching back to msahci driver, you could run the Optimizer once, which is my suggestion. After that, you shouldn't need to run Optimizer again.

idata
Community Manager

What do you mean by going back to AHCI ? I am in AHCI all the time it's set in bios do you mean like change it to IDE go to windows and change it back then in bios to AHCI? Did I understood you correctly? Thanks

Also when I went to matrix software it showed that I have AHCI installed but shouldn't the drive be under the AHCI ?

Link:

http://i40.tinypic.com/34tbyfp.png

idata
Community Manager

No, I said "Go back to msahci driver in AHCI mode and see what you get in AS SSD." And I offered more that you should read.

Do you know how to switch back to msahci driver? You need to have the Standard AHCI 1.0 AHCI controller and my guess is you have an Intel controller listed in Device Manager under IDE/ATA ATAPI controllers.

I assumed you had the msahci driver installed at some point because of your registry picture.

idata
Community Manager

I see you updated your post with that link.

You should uninstall that Intel Matrix Storage Manager and go with Microsoft Standard AHCI 1.0 controller with msahci driver installed.

I have to leave for a few hours, just to let you know. I assume you know how to uninstall that Intel Matrix Storage Manager. I also assume you switched from that Microsoft AHCI driver and controller to what you have now. The problem you originally had was not because of msahci driver--but was because you had Disk Defragmenter turned on and TRIM was not working! You did say you were going to turn off Disk Defragmenter and I assume you did.