cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Intel X25-M 160 GB

idata
Esteemed Contributor III

Hi all,

I just got a new HP Envy 15 and an Intel X25-m 160 GB. I manually installed the SSD and cloned the original 500GB HDD. Everything was fine until I tried to update the Intel SSD firmware. I downloaded the firmware update tool and made the bootable cd. Yet when I try to update the firmware I get this:

Intel SSD is not attached or is disabled.

If you know an Intel SSD is installed and correctly connected to your system, please contact Intel Customer Support for further assistance at the following website: http://www.intel.com/ssdsupport http://www.intel.com/ssdsupport

So do you have any idea of how I can update the firmware?

Thanks

10 REPLIES 10

DZand
Contributor III

Stefa schrieb:

This what my Intel Matrix Storage Console shows. It says non-raid???

Yes.

idata
Esteemed Contributor III

I'm kind of lost. The SSD is recognized no-raid by the intel matrix storage console but the sata port bios is set to raid, am I right? I also tried the other internal SATA port but it doesn't work as well.

The only chance is to use the externl esata port? If that is the case do I have to disconnet my ssd and connect it externally every time there is a firmware update?

Or should I try a clean installation of windows 7...maybe after that it will recognize it?

Since I cannot modify the bios setting maybe I should wait for a new bios update?

Thanks

DZand
Contributor III

@ Stefa:

The installation of Win7 or any other OS will not help at all.

Many users with a notebook have a problem to flash the SSD firmware because of the lack of changing the appropriate SATA Controller settings within the BIOS. If your SATA Controllers are automaticly set to RAID Mode without any ability to disable it, your problem is even worse. The fact, that you haven't created a real RAID array, doesn't really help.

Waiting for a BIOS update, which will give you more BIOS settings options, is useless. You probably will never get the needed options.

You may try to connect your SSD with the eSATA port, but I doubt, that this will work because of the different eSATA/SATA cable slots.

As last option I recommend to ask a friend with a desktop pc, if he/she may allow you to flash the firmware into the SSD. Connect it to the first SATA port. The related SATA Controllers should be set to "IDE Mode". After having successfully flashed the Firmware, you can remove your SSD from the desktop pc and reinsert it into your notebook. Your friend can reinsert the SATA cables of his/her hdd, restore the previous BIOS settings and continue the work without any problems. His/her data will not be affected at all.

Little side note: Don't expect, that you have to repeat this procedure very often. Frmware updates are not as often released as new driver versions.

Regards

Fernando

idata
Esteemed Contributor III

Thanks Fernando.

I was able to update the firmware by installing the SSD in another notebook which recongnized it. I hope HP will find a solution for the next time!!

Happy Holidays

idata
Esteemed Contributor III

...Also confirm you follow firmware directions to set BIOS to a mode like legacy, compatibility, IDE, etc. if you have it.

Occasionally you might need to connect the drive to another computer, too (but my own need to do that with prior firmwares was fixed with the current one.)