cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Intel X25-M 80gb low 4k read/write speeds

idata
Esteemed Contributor III

I use to get 39mb/s write and 14.4 mb/s read using as ssd benchmark on the 4k test. Recently I am scoring 27.50mb/s write and 14mb/s read. What could cause this drop in performance. I am using ahci mode and msahci driver. Thanks

48 REPLIES 48

idata
Esteemed Contributor III

narakunate wrote:

How do you switch to the msahci driver?

In your case, you re-install Windows. The SSD controller driver shown in your test results is "iaStor". IaStor is the driver for Intel Matrix Controller or Intel Rapid Storage Technology controller, and has taken over all your disk drives. You can roll this back to the original Windows controller, for which the driver is Intel iaStorV. All of these are Raid controllers.

But you cannot change the current setup to non-raid AHCI without starting from scratch, and setting your machine bios option to AHCI. You will find out that you do not currently have an entry in Device Manager for SATA IDE/ATA controllers, and you cannot create such an entry for the SSD, let alone change its driver.

Maybe you need the Raid controller for your system. If so, then all drives use the Raid controller, including singles. It's a bitch. The upside is that the Intel Rapid Storage Technology driver works just fine. The downside is that, currently, your SSD is now behind a Raid controller, and is not accessible by AHCI Trim commands and the like, including the SSD Toolbox. But that might change later.

idata
Esteemed Contributor III

I was able to switch to the MS driver but my scores didn't change much. 4k read/writes are still real slow. Other concern is the access times, they're about 2x slower than what I've seen around. Ah, well.

idata
Esteemed Contributor III

My scores are about same as yours, I score between 370-380. I know its annoying but I think its something we will have to live with. Allthough my 4k read/writes bother me there 15mb/s and 38mb/s.

idata
Esteemed Contributor III

Well, my scores are definitely better:

idata
Esteemed Contributor III

I am having the same issue. This is in vista with my having to first edit the registry to reset the controller, then turn on AHCI in bios, then when vista reloads it loaded the driver Standard AHCI 1.0 Serial ATA Controller.

Any advice would be much appreciated. I have run the optimizer, it is one of 3 drives on the sata controller and is just an empty data drive at this point, not running OS or anything on it. My motherboard is a GIGABYTE GA-P35-DS3L P35+ICH9.