cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Intel X25-M 80gb low 4k read/write speeds

idata
Esteemed Contributor III

I use to get 39mb/s write and 14.4 mb/s read using as ssd benchmark on the 4k test. Recently I am scoring 27.50mb/s write and 14mb/s read. What could cause this drop in performance. I am using ahci mode and msahci driver. Thanks

48 REPLIES 48

idata
Esteemed Contributor III

Hi Kurt -

AHCI basically allows native command queueing... http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Native_Command_Queuing ... and is much faster than IDE. If your bios doesn't have a clear choice or toggle somewhere, you probably do not have it enabled. Your OS is recognizing / configured in IDE mode (as it says intelide in your screenshot).

This is going to slow down everything, and actually perform severely poorer whenever you are doing realworld, non-sequential things. When I went from a poorly cobbled together AHCI hack in vista to things being automatically detected as AHCI in windows 7, as evidenced in my previous screenshots, the largest benefit was in the 4K-64THRD because as far as I know that is simulating doing multiple reads near-simultaneously (or something to that effect).

So while your drive isn't optimal, it is still way, way faster than a regular sata drive (the AS SSD benchmark takes me easily an hour on my regular harddrive!). Your sequential score looks to be bottlenecked at the IDE rates...

idata
Esteemed Contributor III

The "fsutil behavior query disabledeletenotify" says TRIM is enabled." means Windows 7 is sending the TRIM command and is enabled by default--but does not mean your SSD is receiving the TRIM command.

Have you disabled or turned off Disk Defragmenter for your SSD? Is the only option in BIOS SATA for RAID? I would need to see what options are in your BIOS to know if there is something that needs to be done there, options for SATA and SATA ports.

Do you have the SSD Toolbox installed on your computer? Do you have the 02HD TRIM firmware installed on your SSD?

Do you have just one drive in your computer? What port is your SSD in?

To check that your partition is aligned correctly, go to your start menu and in the run box type msinfo32 and run it. Click on components => storage => disks and check what the partition starting offset is for your SSD. If it isn't divisible by 4096, then it's not aligned correctly (ie if you get any number that isn't a whole number, then it's not aligned).

Please answer all questions to the best of your knowledge. If you need help on checking for anything, let me know and I will guide you.

idata
Esteemed Contributor III

The AS SSD benchmark tool is not designed for "regular hard drives." For regular hard drives, use HD Tune or CrystalDisk, just to name two.

idata
Esteemed Contributor III

Actually, the computer seems substantially faster than when I had 2 WD Raptors in RAID0, so maybe the machine will last a little longer. I suspect I need a new machine soon, however. The BIOS allows ON or OFF for RAID. If ON, the two SATA drives disappear from the menu. If OFF, I can set them as OFF or AUTO. No other choices. I have an IDE drive on the computer as well, but I disconnected it before installing Win7. Thanks for the response.

Kurt Simon

idata
Esteemed Contributor III

So does that mean its sequential / 4k read/write / etc scores are inaccurate? Or would running it on a pair of drives show an accurate comparison between the ssd and non-ssd?

I just want to get a side by side comparison of both