Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
idata
Community Manager

Intel X25-M 80gb low 4k read/write speeds

I use to get 39mb/s write and 14.4 mb/s read using as ssd benchmark on the 4k test. Recently I am scoring 27.50mb/s write and 14mb/s read. What could cause this drop in performance. I am using ahci mode and msahci driver. Thanks

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
48 Replies
idata
Community Manager

Well, even 14.4 MB/s is on the low side. Try running the optimizer from SSD Toolbox and see what happens. As a point of reference, I am including a test of mine that is also from an 80GB Intel G2 SSD. Do you also have a G2 SSD?

idata
Community Manager

I ran the optimizer and results are still the same. Also it is a gen2 drive

idata
Community Manager

Are you saying there was a time in the beginning when you had results similar to mine above, or were your test results always significantly worse than mine regarding 4K with AS SSD benchmark tool?

Do you have the SSD connected to first SATA port? Do you have any other hard drives that are not SSD connected?

idata
Community Manager

In addition to the above, are there any issues in Device Manager? Are you using the latest firmware update? Can you post a screenshot from AS SSD showing test results?

idata
Community Manager

I'm thinking my G2 is (slightly?) defective. It makes /thread/11102 an awful high pitched noise while I run this test. Also my scores are quite a bit lower than yours. Possibly due to the different version of AS SSD Bench... but seems rather doubtful considering the large variance.

any thoughts?

idata
Community Manager

Your partition number (in green) seems odd to me , mines 1024 k, Also have you updated to the latest firmware? as its not shown on the as ssd screen correctly. Also the whining noise seems to be common if you google it you will see what i mean. And try the msahci driver, assuming your using ahci mode in bios.

idata
Community Manager

That partition offset is normal if you've got the Win7 100 MB partition in front of the main partition.

idata
Community Manager

How do you switch to the msahci driver?

As ZXTT95 indicated, yes, I have the 100MB partition Win7 installed.

idata
Community Manager

Ah I see, ok to switch to the msahci driver go to device manager and go to ideata/atapi controllers,then right click the ahci channel and click update drivers,browse computer for drivers,choose driver from list, it should then give you the option of microsfts standard achi driver or the existing driver you have installed.

idata
Community Manager

narakunate wrote:

How do you switch to the msahci driver?

In your case, you re-install Windows. The SSD controller driver shown in your test results is "iaStor". IaStor is the driver for Intel Matrix Controller or Intel Rapid Storage Technology controller, and has taken over all your disk drives. You can roll this back to the original Windows controller, for which the driver is Intel iaStorV. All of these are Raid controllers.

But you cannot change the current setup to non-raid AHCI without starting from scratch, and setting your machine bios option to AHCI. You will find out that you do not currently have an entry in Device Manager for SATA IDE/ATA controllers, and you cannot create such an entry for the SSD, let alone change its driver.

Maybe you need the Raid controller for your system. If so, then all drives use the Raid controller, including singles. It's a bitch. The upside is that the Intel Rapid Storage Technology driver works just fine. The downside is that, currently, your SSD is now behind a Raid controller, and is not accessible by AHCI Trim commands and the like, including the SSD Toolbox. But that might change later.

idata
Community Manager

I was able to switch to the MS driver but my scores didn't change much. 4k read/writes are still real slow. Other concern is the access times, they're about 2x slower than what I've seen around. Ah, well.

idata
Community Manager

My scores are about same as yours, I score between 370-380. I know its annoying but I think its something we will have to live with. Allthough my 4k read/writes bother me there 15mb/s and 38mb/s.

idata
Community Manager

Well, my scores are definitely better:

idata
Community Manager

I am having the same issue. This is in vista with my having to first edit the registry to reset the controller, then turn on AHCI in bios, then when vista reloads it loaded the driver Standard AHCI 1.0 Serial ATA Controller.

Any advice would be much appreciated. I have run the optimizer, it is one of 3 drives on the sata controller and is just an empty data drive at this point, not running OS or anything on it. My motherboard is a GIGABYTE GA-P35-DS3L P35+ICH9.

idata
Community Manager

I am not familiar with Vista and SSD, so just taking shots in the dark here, First, do you have Disk Defragmenter disabled or turned off for the SSD? Are you doing RAID or have drive encryption? Have you looked at the Read Me for SSD Toolbox to see if there is some conflicting issue? http://downloadcenter.intel.com/Detail_Desc.aspx?agr=Y&DwnldID=18455 http://downloadcenter.intel.com/Detail_Desc.aspx?agr=Y&DwnldID=18455

idata
Community Manager

thanks for the help, i did a raw install of windows 7 with AHCI and NATIVE turned on in the bios and ran it right away... all better:

idata
Community Manager

I am glad to be of help. Congratulations!

Check the test results in about 10 days and see how it goes. If there is any issue with your results, post back here.

idata
Community Manager

Can I jump in here? I have an Intel 80GB X-25M G2 in an old Dell XPS Gen2 with 3GHz P4 and 3GB RAM. The SATA is on a RAID controller that I have turned off in BIOS. There are no options in BIOS for AHCP. My transfer rates are really low. I did a clean install of Win7 on it, but defrag, indexing, fetching were not optimized for SSD, although "fsutil behavior query disabledeletenotify" says TRIM is enabled. I haven't been able to tell if alignment is set for SSD. Is my problem here that I am stuck behind an old SATA RAID controller? Can I do something to fix this? Thanks for any advice.

Kurt Simon

idata
Community Manager

I just figured out how to add a picture to this message.

idata
Community Manager

Hi Kurt -

AHCI basically allows native command queueing... http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Native_Command_Queuing ... and is much faster than IDE. If your bios doesn't have a clear choice or toggle somewhere, you probably do not have it enabled. Your OS is recognizing / configured in IDE mode (as it says intelide in your screenshot).

This is going to slow down everything, and actually perform severely poorer whenever you are doing realworld, non-sequential things. When I went from a poorly cobbled together AHCI hack in vista to things being automatically detected as AHCI in windows 7, as evidenced in my previous screenshots, the largest benefit was in the 4K-64THRD because as far as I know that is simulating doing multiple reads near-simultaneously (or something to that effect).

So while your drive isn't optimal, it is still way, way faster than a regular sata drive (the AS SSD benchmark takes me easily an hour on my regular harddrive!). Your sequential score looks to be bottlenecked at the IDE rates...