cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Intel® X25-M Firmware Update Error

idata
Esteemed Contributor III

Hi all, i've downloaded the new firmware and am having a weird error when running the firmware. I boot into dos and the disc detects my SSD drive fine but during the update when you see the _ blinking, it will pop up with an error saying. Error reading from drive A: Dos area : General Failure Abort ignore retry fail

Retrying does the same thing, so i dont know what's going on. In my bio's it's set at compatible and IDE, am i suppose to set this to ACHI?

Anyone else have this issue and if you fixed it, can you explain how?

Thanks

21 REPLIES 21

idata
Esteemed Contributor III

Got the same message, though I could see my 80 GB X25-M just fine. Another thread on the same subject "Solution for "SSD not found" mentioned the one magic word for me: eSATA. It seems that there is another controller in my HP DV7-3060 that controls the eSATA port, and possibly the SD card slot. I have no choice in my BIOS setup that allows me to disable it, but I did happen to have the magic combination to deal with it. A while back, I bought an extermal NavStar SATA drive dock that allows me to just drop in either a 3.5 or 2.5 inch drive. I have used it previously to transfer files. Not only does it have a USB port, it has an eSATA port. When I pulled my SSD drive out of the notebook and put it "naked" into the external drive, cconnected to my laptop's eSATA port, boot disc saw it just fine, and updated the firmware. So that is a pretty specific set of circumstances, but it did work, and may give other people some clues.

After I upgraded, CrystalDisk showed that I do now have TRIM, but honestly, the benchmark specs didn't budge a bit. I was able to create a partition in exactly the right place for alignment, and I'm running Win 7 64 bit, but my 4k read was only 14 mB/s, and write was 24 MB/s; overall though, my read was 250 MB/s and write was 82 MB/s. Sure beats the old spinner, evan at 7200 RPM

<!-- [DocumentBodyEnd:4e4476d4-2d77-45e3-b87e-e93b227376e2] --><!-- BEGIN attachments --><!-- END attachments --><!-- BEGIN helpful & correct buttons --><!-- END helpful & correct buttons -->

idata
Esteemed Contributor III

As HawaiiTom already mentioned, you might get some clue by reading my post:

/thread/8921?tstart=0 http://communities.intel.com/thread/8921?tstart=0

idata
Esteemed Contributor III

For me the problem was solved by connecting my SSD to another SATA slot on my motherboard.

Thank you

idata
Esteemed Contributor III

Since I have a laptop, my options are limited. I'm just happy HP has made room for a second drive. I know that the new ASUS motherboard I got for my server had a ton of SATA plugs on it. Apparently, from what I have read, they are split between controllers. Must be that Intel's upgrade software can't poll for multiple controllers. Seems like a huge oversight to me. Bad coders, bad.

idata
Esteemed Contributor III

Possible solutions.

I have an ASUS P5K-E motherboard and the firmware updater could not find my Intel X25-M 80GB SSD. In my BIOS was "Configure SATA as AHCI". And I was looking for where to set to "compatible" mode. But I could not found it.

After a lot of time:

I have set "Configure SATA as IDE". After it a new menu appeared: "SATA configuration ENHANCED"!

I have set "SATA configuration COMPATIBLE".

I have reboot then firmware updater have found my SSD and updated it.

I have reboot my computer.

I have restored "SATA configuration ENHANCED".

I have restored "Configure SATA as AHCI". (After it "SATA configuration ENHANCED" menu have disappeared.)

I have reboot and my SSD has a new firmware and works perfectly.

I hope that this will help others too.