cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Intel X25-M Mainstream SSDSA2M160G2R5 160Gb ?

idata
Esteemed Contributor III

I have just put the SSD in the computer a Gateway FX6801, formatted the drive, and with the cloning software supplied with the SSD I transfered the Win7 installation from the original Hatachi hard drive to the SSD. The bios is set to AHIC, the computer boots from the SSD and everything works fine. The load time hasn't improved, 1 min 20 sec which I feel is long and the main reason I changed to SSD. The Win 7 performance for the drive is 5.9 which is the same as the original Hatachi drive. I'd posted this at another forum I am a member of and two replies I recieved were I should Install Win 7 rather than clone. The recovery software for the computer will only install on the original hard drive so I'd have to buy Win 7 and then try to install the drivers that want to install on the Hatachi drive. Also I am not sure what firmware the disk has, pretty sure I saw it some where in the computer but I can't find it again.

Carl2

44 REPLIES 44

idata
Esteemed Contributor III

As for the firmware, go to Device Manager, click on Disk drives, double-click your drive and go to Details, and then under Property from the pull-down menu select Hardware Ids and you will see your firmware. The latest firmware is 02HD and previous was 02HA--if you don't have either, you definitely need to update firmware for TRIM. Actually, you should go with latest, 02HD firmware.

You could try running the Optimizer from SSD Toolbox and see if that helps your WEI, providing you have TRIM firmware.

Do you have default msahci driver for AHCI?

idata
Esteemed Contributor III

Thank you, downloaded and installed the firmware. Next I downloaded the toolbox. I could not install the toolbox, a problem with the windows installer. After reading the documentation I disabled the disk defragmenter, since I couldn't find Netframework I downloaded and installed it which said it was already installed. I tried the run instead of save with the same results. The toobox still will not install. I hope you can offer some advice on this also.

Carl2

idata
Esteemed Contributor III

Now that you installed the latest firmware, have you run the WEI test?

Do you have the default AHCI driver from Windows 7, msahci installed? Is your SSD detected as an ATA device or SCSI? Is your SSD a non-dynamic disk configuration? Are you running RAID?

You don't need NET Framework as Windows 7 has the requirement.

You may have had a bad download. Try downloading the SSD Toolbox again by saving it and then click run from where you downloaded it--I suggest moving it to desktop and run it from there.

idata
Esteemed Contributor III

I"ve run the WEI test, I think you are saying Win Experience Index, what I refer to as the Performance index. Ran it again after update still 5.9. Under the IDE ATA /ATAPI controllers I have: ATA channel 0, ATA channel 1, Intel(R) ICH SATA AHCI controller, Standard AHCI 1.0 Serial ATA controller,.

The driver for the Intel ICH10R AHCI is iaStor.sys.

The driver for the Standard AHCI 1.0 has four listed: atapi.sys,ataport.sys, msahci.sys and pcidex.sys.

The SSD was formatted 64bts and the setup was a basic volume, the bios was set to AHCI when the disk was put in, It is labled D:. No problem seeing it once it was formatted.

I tried downloading again to the desktop as suggested. The windows installer could not be accessed.

Carl2