cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Intel X25-M Mainstream SSDSA2M160G2R5 160Gb ?

idata
Esteemed Contributor III

I have just put the SSD in the computer a Gateway FX6801, formatted the drive, and with the cloning software supplied with the SSD I transfered the Win7 installation from the original Hatachi hard drive to the SSD. The bios is set to AHIC, the computer boots from the SSD and everything works fine. The load time hasn't improved, 1 min 20 sec which I feel is long and the main reason I changed to SSD. The Win 7 performance for the drive is 5.9 which is the same as the original Hatachi drive. I'd posted this at another forum I am a member of and two replies I recieved were I should Install Win 7 rather than clone. The recovery software for the computer will only install on the original hard drive so I'd have to buy Win 7 and then try to install the drivers that want to install on the Hatachi drive. Also I am not sure what firmware the disk has, pretty sure I saw it some where in the computer but I can't find it again.

Carl2

44 REPLIES 44

idata
Esteemed Contributor III

I don't understand why you have those two AHCI controllers. I only have the Standard AHCI 1.0 Serial ATA controller with Windows 7 default msahci driver. TRIM does NOT work with that Intel driver you have: iastor.sys

About your alignment, here is something I copied from somewhere: To check that your partition is aligned correctly, go to your start menu and in the run box type msinfo32 and run it. Click on components => storage => disks and check what the partition starting offset is for your SSD. If it isn't divisible by 4096, then it's not aligned correctly (ie if you get any number that isn't a whole number, then it's not aligned).

I think the main issue is having that Intel controller and driver--TRIM will not pass to Intel driver, so you are not having TRIM enabled unless you run the Optimizer and you haven't been able to do that. Why do you have that Intel AHCI controller and the Standard AHCI controller? Seems like a conflict to me having both those AHCI controllers.

The reason your WEI result is so low is because your drive needs to be TRIMMED.

idata
Esteemed Contributor III

In addition to the above, in case you need guidance uninstalling that Intel AHCI controller: right-click on the Intel AHCI controller and click Uninstall.

idata
Esteemed Contributor III

The SSD partition ofset is 32.256 bytes

I just checked the bios, the Onboard Sata Mode has three choices: Ide, Raid and AHCI.

I had a raid volume in the computer earlier, again a clone, got the same performance I'd say with the original drive, raid and the SSD.

To use the Intel Storage Matrix the bios has to be set to raid which allows you to use the matrix to set up a raid array. The raid array will use AHCI. I'm fairly certian the iaStor.sys is the driver needed for raid. I'd had raid in the past, not much improvement but I was unable to see or use unraided drives. With a raid array on this computer I can see and use the regular hard drive.

I also read something stating the SSD should be placed in a low number port, it's now at port 5 and the original is at port 0. I should try changing these two around. I should try downloading and installing the toolbox in this computer.

Carl2

idata
Esteemed Contributor III

Are you doing RAID? If not, you should set the BIOS to AHCI and use the msahci driver along with the Standard AHCI controller. At this point, I don't know what you are doing. I already spoke about your cloning and how that is probably why you have that Intel controller, which is what I said should be uninstalled.

When you spoke of ports in a previous post, you only mentioned ports 0 and 1. Again, are you doing RAID? TRIM will not pass through in a RAID environment.

idata
Esteemed Contributor III

I've just ordered Windows 7 and a Sata cable. Perhaps this will speed up the process when it arrives. I should be able to install the drivers from the Win 7 upgrade disk. I had tired raid in the past, removed the drives and replaced them with the SSD so I now have SSD as an OS and the Harachi drive with an OS. The bios is set to AHIC. Not using Raid.

Carl2