cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Intel X25-M Mainstream SSDSA2M160G2R5 160Gb ?

idata
Esteemed Contributor III

I have just put the SSD in the computer a Gateway FX6801, formatted the drive, and with the cloning software supplied with the SSD I transfered the Win7 installation from the original Hatachi hard drive to the SSD. The bios is set to AHIC, the computer boots from the SSD and everything works fine. The load time hasn't improved, 1 min 20 sec which I feel is long and the main reason I changed to SSD. The Win 7 performance for the drive is 5.9 which is the same as the original Hatachi drive. I'd posted this at another forum I am a member of and two replies I recieved were I should Install Win 7 rather than clone. The recovery software for the computer will only install on the original hard drive so I'd have to buy Win 7 and then try to install the drivers that want to install on the Hatachi drive. Also I am not sure what firmware the disk has, pretty sure I saw it some where in the computer but I can't find it again.

Carl2

44 REPLIES 44

idata
Esteemed Contributor III

"A possible reason for having an extra Sata controller is that many motherboards with ICH10 controllers include an additional non-intel 2-port controller."

He has an Intel SATA AHCI controller listed in Device Manager, along with the Standard AHCI 1.0 controller.

The run as administrator is certainly worth giving a shot. First thing I did after installing Windows 7 was disable that UAC.

idata
Esteemed Contributor III

I feel I have made some progress, before I left this morning I coppied The toolbox download to the C Drive, the Hatachi drive. I loaded the C OS and was able to install the toolbox. Clicking the application opened the toolbox and showed the two drives. I am now on the SSD OS and can go into explorer and open the toolbox application, I ran everything. The WEI still gives a 5.9 but I feel the boot time has dropped from 1 min 25 sec to around 1 min 10 sec.

It seems the toolbox must be inserted on the C drive. I'll try to change drive letters.

Carl

idata
Esteemed Contributor III

At this time I have 2 Standard AHCI controllers listed, no Intel controllers. I also have 2 ATA Channel 0's, 2 ATA channel 1's, only 1 ATA channel 5 the SSD.

Carl2

idata
Esteemed Contributor III

Good to hear you got rid of the Intel SATA AHCI controller, but having two Standard AHCI controllers doesn't seem correct. This whole issue is because you cloned the OS from an Hitachi drive. You should have just one Standard AHCI controller. I am not concerned about the duplicate channel listings, but the controller thing is another matter.

What is in the ports? Give specifics like type of drive and port number.

Is the SSD your main OS? What exactly are you doing? I mean, how many drives carry an OS and have you created partitions for the purpose of...?

idata
Esteemed Contributor III

Put your SSD in Port 0.