Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
DAndr17
Beginner

Intel application to check X25-M G1 SSD usage, health etc.

Hi All,

The SSDLife screenshot attached contains some usage and health info for my X25-M G1 SSD although the work time looks way off.

Wondering if there's a similar tool from Intel that'd provide correct and complete stats for such drives? Intel SSD Toolbox seems to tell even less.

Thanks in advance,

Dmitriy

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
13 Replies
Jose_H_Intel1
Employee

Hi Dmitriy, do you get the same 18 hours reading from the (Raw) Power-On Hours Count in the SMART Details of the Intel® SSD Toolbox?

DAndr17
Beginner

Hi Joe,

If it's this one then it's the same 18 hours I'm afraid:

Jose_H_Intel1
Employee

Then it is normal and barely used for the model it is.

As you can see the host writes has relatively low count too.

DAndr17
Beginner

Hmm... I've just checked again after full day of continuous use and it's still showing 18 hours... is it maybe counting them in some special way e.g. only the time spent handling read/write operations?

Jose_H_Intel1
Employee

The status of Device Initiated Power Management (DIPM) feature will affect the number of hours reported by the Power-On Hours Count attribute:

• If DIPM is turned on, the recorded value for power-on hours does not include the time that the device is in a "slumber" state.
  • If DIPM is turned off, the recorded value for power-on hours should match the clock time, as all three device states are counted: active, idle and slumber."

DIPM is part of the AHCI Link Power Management feature, which is usually enabled and hidden from the advanced power plan options in Windows*.

DAndr17
Beginner

Hi joe_intel,

Once I made this setting visible by means of a registry change I can see it set to HIPM, so looks like DIPM is off.

Any other possible reasons why I'm getting so low usage time? I'd expect the right figure by now to be a few hundred hours or at least several dozen hours - definitely nowhere near 18.

Is it a well known issue by chance?

Jose_H_Intel1
Employee

So, you set it to Active?

Perhaps the SATA controller does not support this feature or the driver is missing.

Do you know the chipset model?

DAndr17
Beginner

It's a ThinkPad X60s, hence Intel 945GM Express chipset with ICH7-M (SATA I).

Here's a screenshot with driver details. The driver was installed automatically during Windows 8.1 Enterprise installation.

Jose_H_Intel1
Employee

Please allow me more time to check about this.

Jose_H_Intel1
Employee

Did you check if the drive has the latest https://downloadcenter.intel.com/Detail_Desc.aspx?agr=Y&DwnldID=18363 Intel® SSD Firmware?

DAndr17
Beginner

I did indeed - it's 045C8820 (you can see it on the screenshot with SSDLife Pro I uploaded earlier in this thread), looks like it's the latest one.

Jose_H_Intel1
Employee

We are not yet certain about why this happens, but considering that the Mean Time Between Failure for this model is 1.2 million hours and that the Power-On Hours attribute is generally not considered to be a critical indicator of the health of the drive. We wonder if there is any impact of this apparent issue in the use of the drive that requires further investigation from our side.

DAndr17
Beginner

No impact has been noticed so far: the drive keeps working perfectly (cannot see any difference compared to the moment it was installed). I was just curious thinking it's some trivial issue resulting from some default or incorrect setting somewhere.

I recently purchased a few more X25-M drives (G1 and G2) and will keep an eye on the misbehaving parameter for each of them once I install them into a couple of my X61s.

Thanks for your investigation anyway!