cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Intel datacenter PCIE nvme thunderbolt 3 bluescreens

Kissel-b
New Contributor
I have a 4TB intel datacenter pcie NVME in a thunderbolt 3 enclosure which I use with my dell precision 5540 I use it for storage and for testing virtual servers and machines. I worked fine for a few months then all the sudden 6 months ago it would bluescreen every time I plugged it in or when the laptop would boot up. I used to get another error but now I get the driver irql not less or equal iastorac.sys I have formatted the laptop at least 20 times same issue if I plug the drive into my intel Mac with windows running boot amp drive reads and writes fine but I need it to work with my work laptop.
9 REPLIES 9

Kissel-b
New Contributor
The main OS is on a 2TB nvme there is only one partition which works fine I have no issue with the system as is. The only issue is after you login to windows with the thunderbolt 3 enclosure plugged in it will bluescreen also if I am using the system and I plug the drive in after you get the windows chime that it detects new hardware being inserted it instantly bluescreens. The 4TB drive only has one partition the system worked fine on 1903 but after 1909 and ever other revision up until the current it constantly bluescreens the stop code the I currently get is different from what is was originally I have updated all the firmware drivers and bios to no avail I have reformatted to no avail as well. I have contacted dell support which also has been useless I have tried the drive on other dell 5540’s 5520’s and XPS’s and they all have the same issue. It’s definitely a driver issue.

Hello, @Kissel-b.

Thank you for posting on the Intel Community forums.

I reviewed your thread and, unfortunately, there are no recommendations we can provide as the use of enclosures/adapters with our drives is not supported nor validated by us, although it is possible that this is driver-related as you mentioned.

What is the exact model of the SSD? Based on your description of the drive we would usually recommend installing the Datacenter NVMe* Microsoft Windows* Driver, but this does not apply to your scenario as it is intended to be used with the drive directly connected to the system.

- Datacenter NVMe* Microsoft Windows* Drivers for Intel® SSDs: https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/29984?v=t

Your thread will remain open in case a community user would like to participate or in case you would like to share your findings with the community, but it will not be monitored by us for support. Please open a new thread or contact us via any of the other support methods (https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/contact-support.html) if you have other questions or require any type of assistance from Intel in the future.

Best regards,

Bruce C.

Intel Customer Support Technician

It’s a DC P4500 AIC card. I am just using it for extra storage and some virtual machines worked fine for months then windows updates and new revs of the OS killed it happens every time I try and use it with any dell laptop.

Here is the mini dump all for dumps have the same causes

lEdge
New Contributor

From what I am reading on the internet you can just replace the current iastorac.sys file. I am not familiar of what this file compares to. But, should be easy to back up. My guess it's a page file. Delete and restart the computer.