cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Alan_F_Intel
Employee

Intel(r) SSD Toolbox is ready to go!

Hey everyone,

Good news (just in time for the holidays)! We have released the new version of the http://downloadcenter.intel.com/Detail_Desc.aspx?agr=Y&DwnldID=18455 Intel® SSD Toolbox (version 1.2) which fixes the issue with the Intel® SSD Optimizer.

rgds,

Alan

Intel NSG Marketing Division

74 Replies
idata
Community Manager

Hi Alan,

Thanks for the info....but ive been running the optimizer for the last 30mins and its still on 63%!! Is this normal??

Cheers

Walshy

Alan_F_Intel
Employee

Times are going to vary for each user, based on system performance, amount of restore points, and complexity of restore points. If its not progressing, try starting again. Let us know how it works!

idata
Community Manager

For mine, it took 2 hours and 50 minutes. That's about 1 GB/minute. I'm going to run another optimization and see if the time differs.

idata
Community Manager

Took about 1 hour on 80GB with 20 restore point. After deleting all but 1 restore point, it ran in about 10 min.

idata
Community Manager

Took 45 minutes for my 80 gig G2. Worth the time though. Way better performance.

idata
Community Manager

So, just to confirm: if I am running 2 SSDs in a RAID0 configuration, I won't be able to utilize this toolbox (including optimizer) ?

idata
Community Manager

In my case it just says "Failed":

I reinstalled Toolbox v.1.1 and it shows me that everything is fine:

After that I installed new drivers (Intel® Rapid Storage Technology v.9.5.0.1037) for my Intel(R) ICH9M-E/M SATA AHCI Controller and nothing has changed, Toolbox 1.2 shows the same error and 1.1 works fine.

My system:

Win 7 x64

HP EliteBook 6930p

T9400, PM45 chipset, ICH9M-E/M SATA AHCI Controller

SSDSA2M080G2GC with last (HD) firmware with such SMART attrib:

What's wrong?

WWong10
Novice

Hi,

I have the same problem as Isidur.

I get the error screen when trying to run an optimization.

Here are my system details:

Windows 7 - 64bit

Zotac 9300 Mobo (Nvidia 730i chipset)

Intel 80GB G2 Postville (2CV102HD Firmware)

Standard AHCI 1.0 ATA Controller Driver (3.0Gb/s SATA)

Drive Policy - Better Performance, Write Caching on, Write Cache buffer flushing off

idata
Community Manager

The new toolbox says this when making a scheduled TRIM task:

The Intel SSD Optimizer may take many minutes to complete. While in progress, only 1 GB of space will be left free on your drive. Please avoid/minimize system use at the times you have scheduled the Optimizer to run. Once complete, all free space will be returned.

So, this toolbox fills the entire drive but 1GB with data and then frees it again to achieve the same as the old toolbox without corrupting restore points? If yes, this behavior increases host write load on the SSD by its capacity minus 1GB every week - I dont think I want that. I'll stick with the old toolbox. Not using windows restore points anyway...

idata
Community Manager

Are you certain that it works the way you described?

I would rather see it as reservering the space, than actually filling the space.

idata
Community Manager

Ask Intel. What I quoted is exactly what the Toolbox states when trying to schedule TRIM. To me, there is no two ways to understand that warning about the drive being filled except for 1GB...

idata
Community Manager

From the ReadMe.rtf file:

"While it is running, only 1GB of space will be available on your drive until it is finished running, at which time all the free space is returned to your drive"

This suggests that a hold is placed on the free space

idata
Community Manager

And where do you suppose that your data goes during such an overwrite? Think about it...

idata
Community Manager

Who said overwrite? It says it fills the FREE space on your drive... read more carefully please....

idata
Community Manager

Installed the new firmare and the latest SSD Toolbox (ver.1.2)

It works fine except for the SSD Management Tools. When I am trying to Run it the Toolbox is reporting an error "... could not run due to the presence of Volume Shadow Copy Service data..."

My config is Windows XP Pro (on Sony Vaio Z11MRN), Intel X25-M 160GB G2 (silver case), Volume Shadow Copy Service is disabled (now). Tried running the Toolbox in Safe mode with almost everything (including anti-virus) disabled with the same result.

People told me that 1.1 would probably work for me, but apparently that version is no longer available for download.

idata
Community Manager

Same problem here:

"... could not run due to the presence of Volume Shadow Copy Service data..."

Also using XP Pro here.

I tried to check for VSS data by using:

vssadmin list shadows

It tells me there are no shadow copies on my system.

Any ideas?

Another thing:

For the Toolbox to recognise my drive I had to install default PCI-IDE storage controller drivers, instead of using nvidia sata controller drivers.

Those default drivers nearly double my bootup time!

As this is unacceptable it would mean I have to install those drivers everytime I want to use the Toolbox, then install sata drivers again.

Any ideas how this could be improved? (Win7 is _not_ an option)

idata
Community Manager

Are you using XP 64-bit by chance? If so, you need to apply a windows hotfix. (See the Intel Toolbox README)

I had the same shadow copy enabled error until I did so...but the toolbox is working fine now

idata
Community Manager

Thx for your suggestion.

I'm running XP 32bit. So this hotfix is not the problem/solution

EDIT:

This tool seems to check for restore points. I have disabled System restore completely ("Turn off System Restore on all drives").

May this be an issue?

idata
Community Manager

Same here - WinXP 32-bit version

idata
Community Manager

Same problem here: SSDSA2M080G2GN (fw 2CV102HD, two partitions) w/ Windows XP SP3 32bit on Thinkpad T60. VSC already disabled. "Optimizer could not run due to the presence of Volume Shadow Copy Service data". Quite disappointed. What can I do?