cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Intel ssd 520 series: IDE mode not working on dell E6420 after migration

idata
Esteemed Contributor III

Hi,

I have cloned my older windows xp (installed under IDE mode on a kingston 64G ssd) to a new 120G Intel 520 ssd. The clone was successful. But after swap harddrive, my E6420 won't boot at all with the new intel 520 ssd. It gives the error message 'a hard disk read error occured'. Or sometime, it shows the 'boot from last good configuration mode', but the hard drive freeze with any further action. When I switch to AHCI mode, I can see the windows xp loading bar. But blue screen of dead after that, I expected this since I don't have a AHCI driver.

I tried the intel 520 ssd on my older acer 5920G laptop, it works very well with IDE mode.

It seems like that ssd 520 is not compatiable with dell 6420 under IDE mode. Any suggestion could be helpful. Thanks in advance.

Gang

3 REPLIES 3

idata
Esteemed Contributor III

I had a simiar problem with Nvidia nforce590.

The solution was to run a fix on the master boot record.

I used Partition Magic but 'fixmbr' should also work.

idata
Esteemed Contributor III

Hi,

I still don't understand. If the MBR is broken, why it works on other laptop? Any further explaination?

idata
Esteemed Contributor III

Hi - I'm new to this so please treat me gentle!!

Did you get a a solution to your problem?

I ask because I have an old Acer 4710Z running Win7 Ultimate that I wanted to put an intel 520 60GB in.

The bios says it has ACHI option but there appears to be no driver for this for Win7.

I tried windows transfer to SSD (OK) but after start windows on SSD evrything just grinds to a halt and impossible to use. (Tried both with bios @ ACHI and IDE).

You state you hace SSD working on Acer in IDE mode - any thoughts on why I cant get mine to work? (I just want to speed up this old machine).

Thanks for any help....