cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Intel x25m 80gb gen2, disable superfetch and prefetch?

idata
Esteemed Contributor III

Hi I just bought my intel x25m 80gb gen 2 ssd yesterday. I am new to the ssd game and was just wondering if I have to disable superfetch and prefetch in win 7 as I noticed they are enabled. I am also using the default microsoft ahci driver so trim will work if that helps, Thanks.

10 REPLIES 10

idata
Esteemed Contributor III

Maybe they are active by default on your system, but normally (when a fast enough SSD is detected) they are disabled by Win 7 by default.

The superfetch service is set to manual on my system and that means the service will not start on boot.

idata
Esteemed Contributor III

You may have read they are supposed to be disabled, but many users report they are not disabled, and I am one of them with three Intel G2 SSD. The problem is Windows 7.

Superfetch is set to Automatic on all three of my SSD's.

idata
Esteemed Contributor III

As I said earlier, I don't have this problem. The Superfetch service was set to manual during install of Win 7.

BTW: you can easily check whether prefetch or superfetch is enabled by looking at the taskmanager after (re)boot. On my system Win 7 x64 doesn't preload all the stuff Vista x64 does on the same system (I have a triple boot system with Vista installed on a Velociraptor 300GB). Vista is preloading about 3-4 GB average (I have 8GB RAM). Win 7 only loads (caches) the necessary system files which is only a couple of hundred MB.

For people that are not sure about the fact whether superfetch is working or not: press CTRL+Shift+Escape right after Win 7 boots to start Windows Task Manager and look at the value of "cached" situated under the performance tab. In my situation Vista is loading a lot of files towards 4GB+ (that takes quite a while, because this process has very low priority) and Win 7 stops loading files almost immediately after boot and the cache value stays at about 300 MB. Afterwards, when you start several applications, the cache value increases, but that has nothing to do with Superfetch or Prefetch, because only used applications during a session are cached and that's quite normal behaviour, because Windows tries to cach the applications you are currently using and the ones you used during the ongoing session just to speed up things. I have 8GB of RAM and Win 7 normally has about 4-5GB free memory after a very long day of working with a lot of applications. Only after you have used a lot of very memory intensive programs, the value of free memory could approch zero, but that's only for a very short while. As soon as you quit using the memory intensive applications, the memory management of Win 7 will free as much memory as possible to allow you as a user to start other applications as fast as possible.

My conclusions after using Win 7 for 2 months and Vista for about 1.5 years (both x64):

1) Win 7 memory management is far more sophisticated as Vista's

2) Win 7 is the only MS OS sofar that takes into account the fact that a SSD doesn't need prefetching. Obviously that doesn't seem to work for everyone, but it sure does for me.

idata
Esteemed Contributor III

As I said above, Windows 7 does not disable Superfetch, Prefetch, or even Defrag for all users with Intel G2 SSD or other brands of SSD. The problem is not with Intel's SSD, the problem is with detection of SSD in Windows 7.

The method I gave for checking Superfetch also works, and you can also check Prefetch by the method I posted above.

idata
Esteemed Contributor III

Ok thanks everyone I am going to disable superfetch and prefetch and see how I get on. Also the intel x25m 80gb gen 2 ssd scores 7.6 on wei so I assume the ssd is fast enough and doesn't need superfetch or prefetch.