cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Interesting Problem

NGree2
New Contributor

I bought an Intel 320 120 GB SSD back in February of 2011. I installed it in my laptop but decided to use my larger 640 GB hard drive for the time being until it failed in November of 2013. As I had moved in the summer of 2011, the drive stayed in a box the entire time and still had Windows 7 on it. SInce I was using Windows 8.1, I decided to install Windows 8 on the SSD. For some reason, the computer takes forever to boot to the installation media (I have tried both USB and DVD formats). If I am patient long enough, the installation will run through and I can use Windows 8 for about 20 minutes before it locks up and refuses to ever boot again. Here are my questions:

# 1 - Since buying the drive in 02/11, I have not updated the firmware of the drive. I downloaded the SSD Toolbox, but it says the firmware is already up to date. I have a hard time believing that no new firmware has come out since I bought the drive, how could this be true?

# 2 - Is there a known problem with AMD mobile chipsets and Intel SSDs? I have seen other computers randomly have problems with their SSDs before (such as not being recognized by Windows Setup) but this one really confuses me.

# 3 - Any recommendations from here?

Just a few more notes - Both the DVD and USB Windows installation media immediately start with the drive unplugged. Additionally, Windows 7 works completely fine with the SSD, it just seems Windows 8 does not want to.

2 REPLIES 2

Jose_H_Intel1
Valued Contributor II

Hello Natezor, I am sorry for the behavior you are experiencing with the Intel® SSD.

It is certainly odd to obtain different results since the operating systems should be completely transparent for the drive itself. I suggest testing the Intel® SSD in a different SATA controller (or port) or a different system altogether, if possible. Updating the BIOS in your system may also help.

https://downloadcenter.intel.com/Detail_Desc.aspx?agr=Y&DwnldID=18363 Latest firmware for Intel® SSD 320 was released August 2011.

You may also want to try using a different SATA controller driver. For example, you may use the Microsoft*'s driver instead of AMD*'s, or viceversa.