cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Intermitent Game Freezes with SSD

idata
Esteemed Contributor III

While I'm playing a specific online game(LOTRO), my screen will freeze. The sound and cursor are sill operational and usually after a few secs(10-25), it will unfreeze and I can resume playing. After hours/days of troubleshooting numerous items this is what I have found:

- A new windows 7 install on the WD 640GB HDD and no game freezes.

- A new windows 7 install on the Intel SSD and game freezes.

The SSD has the latest firmware and is using AHCI. It only appears to happen on this game. I've played numerous other games on this drive with no apparent issues. I've been working with LOTRO support and have finally narrowed it down to this as the cause. Would appreciate any help on resolving this. Thanks

11 REPLIES 11

idata
Esteemed Contributor III

Glad this solved your issue. I spent days troubleshooting this problem with LOTRO support, from updating graphics and sound card drivers to replacing hardware and checking Internet connections setting. None of us suspected a drive issue. Only after setting up a dual boot configuration and 2 fresh installs did it become apparent. I have not contacted Microsoft or Intel directly. I was working directly with LOTRO support. I'll pass on your additional information to them.

idata
Esteemed Contributor III

You are awesome! I had this exact same problem and thanks to you I got it fixed with a google and 30 minutes.

I registered for this page just to thank you. I even wrote this message twice because my power went out before I hit post the first time around!

Thanks again!

idata
Esteemed Contributor III

Glad I was able to help someone else. I worked weeks on this issue before I figured it out. Good luck to ya!

idata
Esteemed Contributor III

Ya, I fully expected I'd be spending weeks to track it down myself. I was really disappointed when I installed to my SSD and performance was horrible. The first hits google gave me were junk. Then I came across your post with the exact problem and answer.

Thanks again!

idata
Esteemed Contributor III

I've been experiencing a similar problem with DDO and since they use the same engine I've decided to give your solution a shot. I will post back once results are in.