cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Is 320 firmware buggy?

idata
Esteemed Contributor III

http://www.pcreview.co.uk/forums/do-ssd-drives-really-fail-lot-t4035508.html http://www.pcreview.co.uk/forums/do-ssd-drives-really-fail-lot-t4035508.html

Be wary of the new Intel SSD 320 series. Currently, there's a bug in the

controller that can cause the device to revert to 8MB during a power failure. AFAIK they have not yet publicly announced it, and won't have a firmware fix ready for release until the end of July. We had an SSD 320 600GB 2.5" SATA drive in for evaluation from our Intel rep. I was able to kill it in two or three hours by power cycling it. Apparently (according to the Intel rep) when the power failure is happening, the SSD device tries to reconnect with the SATA port instead of initiating a proper shutdown. Something to do with interrupt priority being higher for reconnection rather than a proper shutdown.

I don't know how much truth is to this post. Has there been any official acknowledgement of this problem?

125 REPLIES 125

idata
Esteemed Contributor III

From the quote: "when the power failure is happening, the SSD device tries to reconnect with the SATA port instead of initiating a proper shutdown."

It seems like he is discribing an improper shutdown due to power loss and not a standard power down. I wished that poster defined what he was doing so it could be replicated. To me, 2-3 hours of power loss cycling seems like an odd test.

I have foward this discussion to Intel.

idata
Esteemed Contributor III

Built-in capacitors? Having worked with BitMicro SSDs since about 2000 equipped with those, that phrase doesn't give me a warm and fuzzy feeling. Even when the hardware works as designed (often that was a problem), we had to modifiy driver and app software to avoid problems in the field.

idata
Esteemed Contributor III

I experienced this issue on my 120gb after a normal shutdown. I'm running 2008R2, and was updating the hardware for supporting RFX, then on power-up... pow! 8MB!

This is very disconcerning and not at all what I would have expected from Intel's line of SSD's.

idata
Esteemed Contributor III

Dosen't the toolbox say to power cycle the SSD in order to secure erase?

idata
Esteemed Contributor III

Relic wrote:

Dosen't the toolbox say to power cycle the SSD in order to secure erase?

It doesn't say to power-cycle the SSD repetitively for 2-3 hours.