cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Is 3rd party UEFI NVMe driver (e.g. AMI) supported for booting Intel P3700 SSD?

CChon3
New Contributor III
New Contributor III

The most recent BIOS for my motherboard includes a NVMe driver for UEFI which is not provided by Intel (driver is provided by AMI).

Previously on the older BIOS, Intel's NVMe driver for UEFI is used for booting into Windows (AMI did not include any UEFI NVMe driver then).

Now, AMI's NVMe driver for UEFI is loaded instead of Intel's (I confirmed that by looking at "drivers" using the UEFI shell, only AMI is listed but not Intel).

Is this supported for booting?

6 REPLIES 6

CChon3
New Contributor III
New Contributor III

Currently I have no problems on booting yet, but the device name of the P3700 has changed in the BIOS screen (American Megatrends's driver does not display the SSD serial number as part of the device name but Intel's driver does).

My system BIOS does not show me the version of the NVMe driver.

I have even dumped AMI's NVMe driver from the UEFI shell via "dmem", however looking at the content of the entire file it does not show any kind of version.

I am also currently pursuing this with ASUS support to give me the option to choose which UEFI driver to load (or turn AMI's driver on/off).

ASouz7
Valued Contributor

Hello ClementChong,

BIOS vendor / board ODM are adding generic NVMe boot drivers. The UEFI driver on Intel(R) SSD is preferred since it will fully support features on the card.

Currently we can't say which UEFI NVMe loads as it likely varies by manufacturer.