cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Is It Safe to Use a Magnetic Screwdriver Around SSD's?

MHeap1
New Contributor

I recently purchased a 730 240GB. It came with an Intel "Upgrade Kit" that includes a multi-tip magnetic Intel screwdriver. Actually, the screwdriver is nice, I like it.

I realize that Intel would not ship a tool that would damage its hardware, but I have worked with the assumption that magnets and static electricity should be avoided around disks, chips, and memory, etc. I guess I have been wrong at least with magnets -- or do I need to take precautions when using this screwdriver? I used it to mount the 730 without any issues.

By the way, I like the 730 too. I have been using a X25-M 120GB since early 2011, but I wanted more capacity as each new game seems to be larger than the last one.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Kei_K_Intel
New Contributor III
New Contributor III

Hey Whisper,

Yes it should be fine. The magnetic part should not really be an issue. I'd worry about ESD damage. You should properly ground yourself before you touch anything. Plug in your power cord into the power box (of the PC) and into the outlet but keep the power box turned OFF. This will allow any charge to discharge via ground wire. Once you are ready, touch and hold any metal part of the PC chassis to ground yourself for about 3 seconds. Once you complete that step. open the product and take the drive out of the static bag. Proceed with installation.

Dell has a nice video about

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bxugZ4cyf3Q Learn how to Avoid ESD Damage - YouTube

Hope that helps!

Psignosys - Intel guy

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2

Kei_K_Intel
New Contributor III
New Contributor III

Hey Whisper,

Yes it should be fine. The magnetic part should not really be an issue. I'd worry about ESD damage. You should properly ground yourself before you touch anything. Plug in your power cord into the power box (of the PC) and into the outlet but keep the power box turned OFF. This will allow any charge to discharge via ground wire. Once you are ready, touch and hold any metal part of the PC chassis to ground yourself for about 3 seconds. Once you complete that step. open the product and take the drive out of the static bag. Proceed with installation.

Dell has a nice video about

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bxugZ4cyf3Q Learn how to Avoid ESD Damage - YouTube

Hope that helps!

Psignosys - Intel guy

MHeap1
New Contributor

Thanks Psig!