Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
idata
Community Manager

Is my SSD defective ? (Surface pro 2017)

Hello, my surface pro 2017(acquired in October 2017) isn't able to load the O.S correctly, i.e, it keeps stuck on a infinite loop (from Windows logo to UEFI screen). In the UEFI screen an icon of a circle with a cross inside it appears in the upper right corner (which means there's no ssd connected). I also tried Microsoft recovery from usb but it didn't allow me because of the same reason: no drive appears. In a last attempt to get the device works, I booted ubuntu from another usb and ran a few commands that I found in google that could help me in this issue. Next I will show my inputs and outputs:

ubuntu@ubuntu:~$ sudo df -h

Filesystem Size Used Avail Use% Mounted on

udev 3.9G 0 3.9G 0% /dev

tmpfs 791M 9.6M 781M 2% /run

/dev/sda1 15G 1.6G 14G 11% /cdrom

/dev/loop0 1.5G 1.5G 0 100% /rofs

aufs 3.9G 267M 3.6G 7% /

tmpfs 3.9G 252K 3.9G 1% /dev/shm

tmpfs 5.0M 4.0K 5.0M 1% /run/lock

tmpfs 3.9G 0 3.9G 0% /sys/fs/cgroup

tmpfs 3.9G 132K 3.9G 1% /tmp

tmpfs 791M 84K 791M 1% /run/user/999

ubuntu@ubuntu:~$ sudo findmnt

TARGET SOURCE FSTYPE OPTIONS

/ aufs aufs rw,noatime,si=4a52aef98

+-/sys sysfs sysfs rw,nosuid,nodev,noexec,

¦ +-/sys/kernel/security securityfs securit rw,nosuid,nodev,noexec,

¦ +-/sys/fs/cgroup tmpfs tmpfs ro,nosuid,nodev,noexec,

¦ ¦ +-/sys/fs/cgroup/systemd cgroup cgroup rw,nosuid,nodev,noexec,

¦ ¦ +-/sys/fs/cgroup/perf_event cgroup cgroup rw,nosuid,nodev,noexec,

¦ ¦ +-/sys/fs/cgroup/blkio cgroup cgroup rw,nosuid,nodev,noexec,

¦ ¦ +-/sys/fs/cgroup/pids cgroup cgroup rw,nosuid,nodev,noexec,

¦ ¦ +-/sys/fs/cgroup/memory cgroup cgroup rw,nosuid,nodev,noexec,

¦ ¦ +-/sys/fs/cgroup/cpu,cpuacct cgroup cgroup rw,nosuid,nodev,noexec,

¦ ¦ +-/sys/fs/cgroup/devices cgroup cgroup rw,nosuid,nodev,noexec,

¦ ¦ +-/sys/fs/cgroup/net_cls,net_prio cgroup cgroup rw,nosuid,nodev,noexec,

¦ ¦ +-/sys/fs/cgroup/cpuset cgroup cgroup rw,nosuid,nodev,noexec,

¦ ¦ +-/sys/fs/cgroup/hugetlb cgroup cgroup rw,nosuid,nodev,noexec,

¦ ¦ +-/sys/fs/cgroup/rdma cgroup cgroup rw,nosuid,nodev,noexec,

¦ ¦ +-/sys/fs/cgroup/freezer cgroup cgroup rw,nosuid,nodev,noexec,

¦ +-/sys/fs/pstore pstore pstore rw,nosuid,nodev,noexec,

¦ +-/sys/firmware/efi/efivars efivarfs efivarf rw,nosuid,nodev,noexec,

¦ +-/sys/fs/fuse/connections fusectl fusectl rw,relatime

¦ +-/sys/kernel/config configfs configf rw,relatime

¦ +-/sys/kernel/debug debugfs debugfs rw,relatime

¦ +-/sys/kernel/debug/tracing tracefs tracefs rw,relatime

+-/proc proc proc rw,nosuid,nodev,noexec,

¦ +-/proc/sys/fs/binfmt_misc systemd-1 autofs rw,relatime,fd=23,pgrp=

+-/dev udev devtmpf rw,nosuid,relatime,size

¦ +-/dev/pts devpts devpts rw,nosuid,noexec,relati

¦ +-/dev/shm tmpfs tmpfs rw,nosuid,nodev

¦ +-/dev/hugepages hugetlbfs hugetlb rw,relatime,pagesize=2M

¦ +-/dev/mqueue mqueue mqueue rw,relatime

+-/run tmpfs tmpfs rw,nosuid,noexec,relati

¦ +-/run/lock tmpfs tmpfs rw,nosuid,nodev,noexec,

¦ +-/run/user/999 tmpfs tmpfs rw,nosuid,nodev,relatim

¦ +-/run/user/999/gvfs gvfsd-fuse fuse.gv rw,nosuid,nodev,relatim

+-/cdrom /dev/sda1 vfat ro,noatime,fmask=0022,d

+-/rofs /dev/loop0 squashf ro,noatime

+-/tmp tmpfs tmpfs rw,nosuid,nodev,relatim

ubuntu@ubuntu:~$ sudo lsblk

NAME MAJ:MIN RM SIZE RO TYPE MOUNTPOINT

loop0 7:0 0 1.5G 1 loop /rofs

sda 8:0 1 14.6G 0 disk

+-sda1 8:1 1 14.6G 0 part /cdrom

nvme0n1 259:0 0 238.5G 0 disk

ubuntu@ubuntu:~$ sudo lsblk -f

NAME FSTYPE LABEL UUID MOUNTPOINT

loop0 squashfs /rofs

sda

+-sda1 vfat UBUNTU 16_0 A8B7-237E /cdrom

nvme0n1

ubuntu@ubuntu:~$ sudo fdisk -l

Disk /dev/loop0: 1.5 GiB, 1564921856 bytes, 3056488 sectors

Units: sectors of 1 * 512 = 512 bytes

Sector size (logical/physical): 512 bytes / 512 bytes

I/O size (minimum/optimal): 512 bytes / 512 bytes

Disk /dev/sda: 14.6 GiB, 15631122432 bytes, 30529536 sectors

Units: sectors of 1 * 512 = 512 bytes

Sector size (logical/physical): 512 bytes / 512 bytes

I/O size (minimum/optimal): 512 bytes / 512 bytes

Disklabel type: dos

Disk identifier: 0x000965d2

Device Boot Start End Sectors Size Id Type

/dev/sda1 * 2048 30529535 30527488 14.6G c W95 FAT32 (LBA)

# ..................(****Eternal waiting, the task never finish****)..................#

ubuntu@ubuntu:~$ sudo nvme list

# ..................(****Eternal waiting, the task never finish****)..................#

I would be completely sure that the ssd is defective if the output of lsblk -f had not shown me "nvme0n1" in its last line. So now I don't know what to think. Is defective or not ? or if the commands I ran are not enough, what should I do? (I need to be completely sure that is defective or not, because I live outside the USA, where the device was bought and is valid its warranty, and send it there would be a big waste of time and money in the opposite case.)

PS: If I made a mistake in the writing let me know and forgive me, english isn't my first language.

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
5 Replies
idata
Community Manager

Hi Agc097,

Thank you for contacting our support community.

Based on the information, we recommend you to contact https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/products/surface-devices Microsoft* Surface Support in order to get the proper assistance from the manufacturer of your system.

Regards,

Junior M.
espra
Beginner

I have the same issue. ive been working with Microsoft for over 2 months now. they are wanting to replace my brand new device with a refurbished one which is completely unethical. they are saying my ssd drive is defective but there is also an issue with the 1803 update that caused it to get stuff in the ufci screen...the "x" I guess indicated the hard drive is defective. obviously the 1803 update killed many if not all these devices but it appears some are fixable with exception of the ones with the defective ssd drives.

AlHill
Super User

Erika, this is not an Intel problem. It is a Microsoft problem, both for the hardware and OS.

Complaining to Intel about Microsoft is like complaining to Dixie Cup about the coffee.

Doc

espra
Beginner

thank you so much Al for your insightful information smarty pants. thank goodness you set me straight. Especially since im not an i.t. person or even someone who knows crap about computers, ssds drives and the like. I just want the $1200 surface I paid for to work but unfortunely, its dead....dead a flipping door knob, after 4 months of nominal use I might add. So a computer idiot like me has to do what I should have no business doing and research what the hey caused it to crash. In my feeble efforts I have discovered a slew of reported like crashes due to the 1803 update, citing incompatibility with the intel ssd drives. Microsoft itself confirmed the issue on their update catalog. As I stated in my original post your whining about "IVE BEEN WORKING WITH MICCROSOFT FOR OVER TWO MONTHS NOW" but have not had an agreeable remedy thus far.

in defense as to why a digital illiterate gal like me is here? I have read several "tech articles/blogs/reports" whatever you call them (pardon my ignorance if I'm not using the right verbiage, lest you correct me) reporting "bad INTEL SSD drives on some of the 2017 surfaces". now I may not be the most computerate person but it wouldn't take a computer savy whiz to determine "intel" just might indeed make "intel ssd drives"? Silly me thought the title "is my ssd defective" might have actually meant an inquiry to a defective ssd drive....which is the alleged reason (twice confirmed by ms) my surface has so sadly passed away.

frankly, I don't care if its intel or Microsoft, Im just trying to find the solution. my post was two fold 1. to maybe save this poor guy (original post) from hours of research and 2. to inquire if he had any info on the defective intel ssd that I might not have so forgive me for being an irritation to you. ill go back to where I belong, the kitchen sink and do the dishes...dang.

- erika

AlHill
Super User

Well, good luck moving forward.

Doc