cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Is the 660P compatible with an M.2 SATA only port?

CCurt4
New Contributor

Some system builders set up their systems with a dual use M.2 slot for NVMe or M.2 SATA drives. If a system had a designated M.2 SATA port only, with one keyway, would the 660P be compatible?

I have installed the 660P in both configurations on a dual use M.2 slot. But I am wondering if a dedicated SATA M.2 slot may not have some connections available for the 660P to function in such an environment.

Thanks for reading

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

n_scott_pearson
Contributor II

No. The 660p is an NVMe SSD. It is not going to work in a SATA-only M.2 connector​.

...S

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3

n_scott_pearson
Contributor II

No. The 660p is an NVMe SSD. It is not going to work in a SATA-only M.2 connector​.

...S

Thanks for the response but I don't believe it will convince me, since the drive is capable of working in the SATA configuration. I don't know a way to confirm a SATA only M.2 slot is electrically different from a dual use slot. In those cases, the system Bios can control whether the slot is NVMe capable.

I am thinking the only way to know for sure, is to try to install it on a system which does not have NVMe capability.

Thanks again, if I decide to try, I will post back to confirm.

Looks like you are correct. The drive installed as a secondary drive on a non-capable NVMe system, was not recognized by the Bios.

My conclusion would be you have to be on a NVMe system for the drive to be recognized by the Bios so drivers can be added to use the SATA configuration....

Thanks again.