Server Products
Data Center Products including boards, integrated systems, Intel® Xeon® Processors, RAID Storage, and Intel® Xeon® Processors
4778 Discussions

Is there a method for using Nvme Pci-e m.2 ssd to boot, on S5520SC mainboard.

YChoi18
Beginner

I have a s5520sc mainboard.

I know that boards before z97 cannot support nvme pci-e m.2 ssd.

Then,

after inserting pci-e card for nvme pci-e m.2 ssd,

Can this board(s5520sc) support nvme pci-e m.2 ssd to boot.

Or,

Is there a bios hotfix for this problem?

0 Kudos
4 Replies
n_scott_pearson
Super User

No, not a chance. You need minimum 8 series chipset plus NVMe support in the BIOS. This board was discontinued long, long before the concept of​ NVMe ever existed and no feature updates happen after board is discontinued.

S​orry,

...S

YChoi18
Beginner

Thanks for your answer.

Then, Can I use pci-e m.2 ssd by data disk using pci-e card for nvme pci-e m.2 ssd?

I have a multi support(one for nvme m.2 ssd, one for sata m.2 ssd) pci-e card and use it one sata-m.2-ssd.

So, I want to attach nvme m.2 ssd to it and to use by data-disk.

0 Kudos
n_scott_pearson
Super User

I believe that the answer is no. The issue is that your board supports only PCIe 2.0 and PCIe 3.0 is a stated requisite for NVMe. I believe that you are getting away with the M.2 SATA SSD because it is really using only the SATA lane (which you provided separately; the PCIe connector is being used for power and not much else).

If, somehow, it did work, booting would still be out of the question, as there's no NVMe support in BIOS, but it would be possible to use it as a data drive (with NVMe driver in Windows). I have heard of folks doing this with 8 Series boards. Again, this only work if it runs with PCIe 2.0, but I don't believe that it can. Who knows? Borrow one from a friend and try it out. It won't damage the card, so all that you'd lose is the time spent trying...

...S

0 Kudos
Carlos_V_Intel1
Employee
Hello YChoi18, Hope you are doing fine. Intel Customer Service no longer responds to telephone, chat, or e-mail inquiries for this Intel® Workstation Board S5520SC but you may want to try our Discontinued Products Community (select the discontinued topic for your thread) to get recommendations from fellow community members. You may also find the Discontinued Products Website (https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/discontinued-products.html) helpful to address your request. Hope this helps. Regards, Charlie V. Intel Customer Support Technician Under Contract to Intel Corporation
0 Kudos