cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Is there an Intel Series 320 512Gb?

SLync1
New Contributor

8There is another topic regarding an Intel 320 513gb drive:

Having issues pulling up docs and specs on the Series 320 on intel site- docs not found,

The topic is two years old- hoped maybe something has happened since the original topic posted

because the ISN shows a valid warranty until July 2016.

I purchased the drive on eBay April 10th, got it yesterday after the seller sent me the wrong drive first.

The Model number is: ssdsa2cw512g3

The serial number is: CVPR12950FD512NGN

I became suspicious when I noticed there was no intel logo/decal or silk screen marking on the top of the brushed aluminum case.

The bottom of the drive has a label, with a few asian characters written in pen, along with the FW version, but otherwise no marking.

The drive was advertised as used, but the SMART power-on hours count showed 0 by now it's up to 8,

I understand the power-on hours count is supposed to be cumulative over the life of the drive- barring reset with specialized utility.

The power-on hours don't reconcile well with 346 power cycle counts, and 36 unsafe shutdown counts

and the timed-work-load timer showed 155254819 on initial power-up.

Before the 512Gb arrived, the seller sent me the wrong drive, I didn't read the label before popped the tape and found a new sealed in zero stat bag.

A series 1500 240G- I didn't open the zero stat bag. The first series 1500 came in a small brown box with a white label.

Wondering the next step if the drive is counterfeit, do I return to seller or report to ebay?

If I return to seller it may hit the street again.

Should I hang on the the 1500 so it can be inspected to see if it's legit?

Thoughts?

6 REPLIES 6

SLync1
New Contributor

Thanks for the link, Doc. I'd seen the list but was hopeful there was a special OEM run or something I could find in the series 320 product sheets. Particularly confusing is ISN pulls up an viable expiration date- but anyone who has the tools to reset the SMART power-on hours could manipulate the Serial number as easily. It's just a matter of setting a value in a memory address on the drive. Guess I better let eBay know what's going on. Entirely possible the seller was duped by a supplier but I don't think this should go back to the seller if there's the slightest possibility of the drive winding up in someone elses machine.

jbenavides
Valued Contributor II

Hello Sean,

The drive may actually be legitimate, even though there is no retail version of the Intel SSD 320 Series 512GB, some were manufactured for OEM's.

When buying Intel SSD's, or other Intel products we recommend to buy from a trusted vendor, and also take into consideration that the SSD limited warranty does not apply to drives bought as "previously used". The warranty is valid for the purchaser of the Product in its original sealed packaging ("Original Purchaser") and to the purchaser of a computer system built by an Original Purchaser containing the Product.

If you need to confirm the warranty status or if you require additional assistance, we advise you http://www.intel.com/p/en_US/support/contactsupport Contact Support, as we will be more than glad to help.

Thank you jonathan_intel.

Is this an official confirmation that model number: SSDA2CW512G3 is legitimate?

I haven't been able to find any docs, including compliance docs, for that model number on Intel.

I do have a ticket in with support to verify the authenticity of the drive model, and warranty questions: XXXXXXXXXX (number removed by Moderator)

The forum thread above and inability to locate any mention of the SSDA2CW512G3 on Intel main site was the source of my initial

suspicion the drive was not genuine- and the SMART data isn't right with many values having been zeroed out.

Is there any instance of a firmware update changing SMART data? Again power-on hours showing 0, 345 power-cycle counts, unsafe-shutdown count showing 36 and Read and Write LBA totals corresponding to the single secure erase, initialize, format and tests I performed.

Regardless, I'm relieved to know there was an OEM Series 320 512Gb drive and will inform the seller.

jbenavides
Valued Contributor II

Hello SeanLynch,

The model number SSDSA2CW512G3 is a legitimate Intel model. The details of this drive may not be found online since Intel does not publish information about the drives manufactured and sold only to OEM's.

It is difficult to refer to the SMART data shown by the drive, however, we are not aware of any public tools that can reset the SMART data. If you have further inquiries about the SMART values, you might want to check with the place of purchase.