cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Issue Accessing MCTP data of DC P3700

vgajj
New Contributor II

Hi Team,

I have a slaved i2c driver (7-bit Addressing) to access temperature data @ 0x1B and driver status @ 0x6A.

I am able to get the temperature data as two bytes say 0xC3, 0x03, I face issue when trying to read Drive status @ 0x6A, (in the product specification this address is mentioned as 0x6 instead of 0x6A) I gets smubs error 121. I am using the api mentioned below

# define MCTP_CMD_DRIVE_STATUS 0x0

# define MCTP_DRIVE_STATUS_BLOCK_SIZE 0x08

char buff[8];

ret = i2c_smbus_read_i2c_block_data(client, MCTP_CMD_DRIVE_STATIC_DATA,

MCTP_DRIVE_STATUS_BLOCK_SIZE, buff);

When I i2cdetect tool i see "UU" status for slave 0x6A.

Please help identifying the issue in reading.

Regards,

gvk51

13 REPLIES 13

jbenavides
Valued Contributor II

Hello gvk51,

We will be glad to help you resolve your inquiry and we will need to engage additional resources to review your request.

The Intel® SSD DC P3700 2.5in drive has specific hardware requirements and we need to confirm some information. Please let us know the system details previously requested as they are required for this type of inquiries:

- Computer brand and model

- Motherboard model and BIOS version

- NVMe Driver version

- Model number of the Intel® SSD DC P3700.

- What type of converter board are you using?

- Do you plan to boot from the NVMe drive, or use for data only?

vgajj
New Contributor II

Hi Jonathan_Intel,

- It is a assembled machine with Asus mother board & intel CPU with Ubuntu 14.04 LTS

- Mother board version P8P67 EVO

- BIOS version 1606: Build date 05/02/2011

- Linux Kernel version 3.16.0-45-generic

- NVMe driver version 0.9 (used modinfo nvme )

- SSD Model: SSDPE2MD800G4

- I am using PCI-AD-x439-01 SF8639 to PCIe converter (http://serialcables.com/search-largeview.asp?cat=&tier=&id=1579&search=true High Speed Serial Cables, Adapters and Accessories from Serial Cables)

- I am using PCIe_16 2.0 version on mother board

I am able to format & mount the drive on Ubuntu machine, here I could not see the smart data & it is not important to me as of now. My major concern is accessing the OOB data using an external micro-controller over I2C/SMBus.

I understand I gave 100% of the information, to my understanding all the above information may not be need to access OOB data as long as SSD is operational, please correct me if I am wrong.

Please help me at the earliest.

Thanks & Regards,

Vamshi G.

jbenavides
Valued Contributor II

We are researching on your inquiry and will provide more information soon.

vgajj
New Contributor II

Hi Jonathan_intel,

Please help me addressing this at the earliest.

Thanks in advance !

jbenavides
Valued Contributor II

Hello gvk51,

We got the following information about the addresses available on Fultondale SSD's (DC P3700, DC P3600)

7bit (8bit) addresses listed

0x6A (0xD4) = ASIC / NVMe-MI (SMBus Block Reads / I2C Multi-Byte Reads)

0x53 (0xA6) = VPD EEPROM (SMBus Byte Write/Reads)

0x1B (0x36) = VPD Temp (SMBus Word Reads)

Note that 0x6A != 0xA6

Also the 0x6A (0xD4 8bit) address for talking to the ASIC's SMBus controller has different behavior depending on how your drive is configured. With firmware builds that are on FW151 or newer, this address will talk simplified NVMe-MI.