cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Latest FW update any good for XP, Sata 1 system

idata
Esteemed Contributor III

Hi,

I was wondering if the lastest FW update and the tool box software are of any use to my sata 1 system that runs on XP. Will I be able to run TRIM, even manually or anything that will improve the performance of the SSD?

Thank you for your advice in advance.

12 REPLIES 12

idata
Esteemed Contributor III

Why bother? You are defeating the whole purpose of the drive. You aren't going to gain anything. You would have been better served by buying 2 regular sata1 drives and using raid. Would have been faster than the sata2 ssd in sata 1 mode.

idata
Esteemed Contributor III

Rick,

Thank you for your helpful advice. Your idea of 2 x ssd is indeed interesting, but I am using my solo SSD in a notebook. So 2 x ssd or upgrading the sata interface is out of question for my current configuration. (sorry I did not provide this info earlier.) I am happy with the performance as it is now, but thought if there is any gain in the performance with the update, I will go through the hassle. Otherwise, I will give it a miss, given all the problems associated with the update.

idata
Esteemed Contributor III

I didnt say 2 sdd's. I said 2 regular $70.00 hdd's. Regular hard drives. You realize of course that SATA 1 is capped at 150mbs So really for the price you kinda wasted your dough. As far as performance, when I ran the optimizer after the firmware update my drive access time was way better. Since you are using a laptop 2 HDD's are out of the question i guess.

idata
Esteemed Contributor III

Minami,

Your sdd will be faster upgrading the FW and running the optimizer.

If you don't run the optimier, file performance will drop over time.

You will notice it even if you are limited to sata 150.

If you run optimizer, your drive will have always top performance.

Notice that the intel top WRITE speed (from specs. 80MB/s - 100MB/s) is allways bellow your sata 150MB/s interface limit, so you need trim and optimizer if you dont want write speed to go bellow specs.