cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Linux installed on Intel 730 and SSD toolbox

DKont
New Contributor

I have an Intel 750 with Windows 7 on it. I also have an Intel 730 with Linux on it. I have no problems, these drives are just awesome (so far). My question is, the 730 obviously shows up in windows when I run the SSD toolbox. I ALMOST optimized the drive, which I haven't done yet. Will it work? Should I or should I not? I'm curious about this as I have disabled all scheduling until I find out.

Thanks in advance...

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

jbenavides
Valued Contributor II

Hello DonLinux,

The Intel® SSD Optimizer function in Intel® SSD Toolbox is used to optimize the SSD using TRIM functionality on any Intel® SSD detected by the Windows® system. However, if the Intel® SSD 730 has a bootable Linux partition, you can use Linux to run TRIM on that drive.

You can TRIM the SSD in Linux using the "fstrim" command on a schedule/manually, or you can also do it mounting the filesystem with the "discard" option. We have checked multiple sources and the concensus is to schedule a cronjob in order to run "fstrim" periodically. In external Linux websites, users mentioned that the discard option may actually have a performance impact.

You can find more information about this topic in the following thread:

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2

jbenavides
Valued Contributor II

Hello DonLinux,

The Intel® SSD Optimizer function in Intel® SSD Toolbox is used to optimize the SSD using TRIM functionality on any Intel® SSD detected by the Windows® system. However, if the Intel® SSD 730 has a bootable Linux partition, you can use Linux to run TRIM on that drive.

You can TRIM the SSD in Linux using the "fstrim" command on a schedule/manually, or you can also do it mounting the filesystem with the "discard" option. We have checked multiple sources and the concensus is to schedule a cronjob in order to run "fstrim" periodically. In external Linux websites, users mentioned that the discard option may actually have a performance impact.

You can find more information about this topic in the following thread:

Thanks, I'm good to go then. It through me since it shows up in the toolbox when I'm booted into Windows.