cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Migration to X25-M G2 from HDD using Windows 7 System Imaging Tool

idata
Esteemed Contributor III

Hi all,

I am planning to transfer my Windows 7 upgrade installation from my HDD to my new X25-M G2 using the built in system imaging tool. I've chosen this route since my licence is an 'upgrade' and I don't want to go into the hassle of installing WinXP first, plus some concerns over reactivation of the licence. Finally, this will save me from about a day of software installation torture.

Do you think a transfer of this kind can cause problems since two media are of different nature? My HDD is 160GB but only 30GB is used, my X25-M is 80GB.

I would be grateful if experienced users can comment on this issue.

Regards,

Koray

8 REPLIES 8

PCoup1
New Contributor III
New Contributor III

I would not recommend this route. From what I understand, an SSD works best when the partition tables are aligned with an SSD. The Windows 7 installer aligns the partitions, where as the Win XP installer does not. So if you migrate from an existing installation done from XP using a HDD, you won't get the best performance from an SSD. (you'll need to research this yourself or hope someone with far better knowledge than me posts)

As W7 cannot be upgraded from XP, I dont understand why you cannot go clean with W7 using your licence?

idata
Esteemed Contributor III

Hi, thanks for responding, sorry I was not very clear. I did my Windows 7 upgrade was over my Thinkpad's OEM Vista installation (so it is not based on XP, but Vista). Since restoring my Thinkpad to factory specs takes a lot of time, I considered using an older Windows XP installation CD as an alternative to "system imaging" migration route.

Of course, my preference is using the system imaging and avoiding all other software installations. Any ideas on possible risks of doing that across a HDD and SSD?

Thanks,

K.

PCoup1
New Contributor III
New Contributor III

I'm sorry but I dont have a clue what you mean about all this XP business.

I don't know if the W7 image tool will allow you to restore to a disk of a different size. Some 3rd party imaging tools allow you to create an image and restore to a different size disk, so this may work.

If you can get your licence to work from a clean W7 install, that is deffinately the route to take. Lets me honest, you can nail the bulk of a fresh install in one evening.

idata
Esteemed Contributor III

Thanks! I will try a clean install.

K.