Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
FFran21
Beginner

My Dell XPS 15 has a driver problem with Windows 10 repair

Having boot problems I want to repair my Windows 10.

Running Windows setup from an USB stick, I 'm stuck at: "A media driver your computer needs is missing etc".

Probably the driver for my SSD. Where can I find the right Driver?

0 Kudos
5 Replies
idata
Community Manager

Hello eFFemeer,

We understand you would like to repair your system running the Windows® 10 repair options, but there is a driver missing and it does not let you repair the computer.

We would like to know first, what is the brand and model of SSD you have in this computer?

Have you contacted Dell* about this situation?

If the system is having boot issues, have you tried to run a fix boot and fix MBR? - http://www.thewindowsclub.com/repair-master-boot-record-mbr-windows Here is a link on how to access to those options.

Note: This link is being offered for your convenience and should not be viewed as an endorsement by Intel of the content, products, or services offered there.

Regards,

NC
FFran21
Beginner

Thank you for your reaction.

My laptop is a Dell XPS 15 9550. I honestly don't know the SSD brand but this is what I found amongst the specs:

400-AJBS : MOD,SSDR,1TB,NVME,SMSNG,PM951

Dell told me to download from https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/23929/Intel-Solid-State-Drive-Data-Center-Family-for-NVMe-... Download Intel® SSD Data Center Family for NVMe Drivers but that doesn't result in any success.

I tried bootrec /fixmbr /fixboot (successful) and /rebuildbcd (finds c:\Windows but then says that resources are not available.

idata
Community Manager

Hi eFFemeer,

We can notice, based on the description line of your SSD, that this is a Samsung* drive and not Intel®. This means that the driver provided to you by Dell* is not going to be useful as the driver is only for Intel® SSDs.

We suggest you to please get in touch with Samsung* and Dell* in order to first, verify compatibility (as this is an NVMe* drive) and second to ask which is the corresponded driver you need to use.

Hope you can solve this with them.

Regards,

NC
FFran21
Beginner

Thank you for reply. I allready searched for Samsung drivers. Alas, they are all presented as .exe files which I can't run during installation.

But I'll follow you advice and ask Samsung and Dell support.

Unfortunately Samsung gives little hope:

Kan Samsung de firmware update aanbieden voor andere fabrikanten die een Samsung SSD hebben gebruikt?

Last Update date : 2015.10.06

Nee, dit is helaas niet mogelijk.

De firmware die op dit moment is geïnstalleerd op de SSD bevat specifieke features die aangevraagd zijn door de betreffende fabrikant.

We raden aan contact op te nemen met de betreffende fabrikant wat betreft vragen over de firmware van de SSD.
idata
Community Manager

Hi eFFemeer,

Hope they can help you. They should as this is one of their products.

Have a nice end of the week.

Regards,

NC