Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
DOkle
Beginner

My Laptop boots impossibly slowly after upgrading from Wondows 7 to 10. What can I do?

After upgrading from Windows 7 to 10 booting my Laptop (HP Pavilion dv7 2670QM @ 2.2GHz with Intel SSD 320 Series 160GB) takes almost 2 minutes to boot! This is much slower than before!. Windows support thought it must have to to with the SSD (driver). But installing an running Intel Solid-State-Driver-Toolbox v.3.4.1 didn't do anything to resolve this problem. Waht can I do?

0 Kudos
11 Replies
ppara5
Valued Contributor I

You might have a Microsoft Telemetry Compatibility problem. I was shocked to see a PC freshly upgraded to W-10 be ridiculously slow. Then I looked at the processor temperature and performance data and realized that W-10 was riding the PC like a jockey. Microsoft Telemetry Compatibility is a process which virtually takes over a PC for the first ten minutes of every boot. Read the suggestion at the below Microsoft URL (from Ima Troll, heh heh) and note how many people found it helpful.

https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_10-performance/microsoft-telemetry-compati... https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_10-performance/microsoft-telemetry-compati...

DOkle
Beginner

hello paramountain

Thanks for your input. I tried it but it only slightly accelerated the booting. It's still at 1min 30 sec.

idata
Community Manager

Hello Dany_O,

We would like to assist you with this slow boot situation you are facing.

First of all, could you please attach the SMART details of the SSD using the Intel® Solid-State Drive Toolbox?

By clicking the export button in the main screen of Toolbox you will be able to save the file and then just attach it here. (Remember you need to click on the "Use advanced editor" button once replying to this response.)

At the same time, please try the suggestion provided by paramountain, checking at the link he posted, it seems that it has worked for several people.

We'll be waiting for your response.

Regards,

Nestor C
DOkle
Beginner

Hi Nestor

Here is the SMART detail file.

Thanks for your help in advance.

Daniel

idata
Community Manager

Hello Dany_O,

Thanks for replying back.

We've checked the file you shared with us and we don't see anything wrong at all.

We understand you upgraded from Windows* 7 to Windows® 10, is there any way you may try to install Windows® 10 from scratch?

Was this happening before? (When you had Windows* 7 installed)

Regards,

Nestor C
DOkle
Beginner

Hi Nestor

No, I didn't have any such problem when using Windows 7. The computer was usually booted in 23 seconds which was ok.. So of course I expected it to be even faster and was so disappointed when it slowed down to a crawl. I reinstalled windows 10 once before but that didn't change anything.

Regards

Daniel

idata
Community Manager

Hello Dany_O,

We were researching about this situation and we would like you to please check the following:

-Update the graphics card on your computer (From manufacturer website)

-Turn off the Windows Subsystem for Linux (Beta) - This can be done from "Turn Windows Feature on or off"

-Please follow the suggestions on http://www.expertreviews.co.uk/software/operating-systems/1403760/how-to-fix-the-windows-10-slow-boo... this link

Note: These links are being offered for your convenience and should not be viewed as an endorsement by Intel of the content, products, or services offered there

Regards,

Nestor C
DOkle
Beginner

Hi Nestor

You totally nailed it. Thank you so much. This was stellar support, even more so as it turned out to have nothing to so with Intel's product.

The solution was the last action mentioned in the linke above (setting the value of "enableulps" to 0). The laptop may consume more energy as a result but I'll watch that. The fact that the fault was with an energgy-saving feature that just turned the screen black (while the computer obviously did nothing) is just plain silly. Why would such a feature even be started up or employed at that point is a bit beyoond me.

But it worked and that goes to your credit.

Best regard,

Daniel

P.S. Hope you get a pay rise :-)

idata
Community Manager

Hello Dany_O,

We are really glad to hear that the situation with your system is gone and that part of the suggestions given helped you to fix this.

Please keep in mind that in case of further assistance, you can always contact us here.

Regards,

Nestor C
DOkle
Beginner

Hi Nestor

Thanks, and I will if I need to. By the way, the laptop now takes 12 seconds to get to log-in screen which is perfect. It's not a brand new one.

Thanks again

Regards,

Daniel

idata
Community Manager

Dany_O,

You are welcome.

That's a huge booting loading time difference .

Regards,

Nestor C