cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

My new 310 mSATA 80 GB SSD hit by the 8 MB bug

idata
Esteemed Contributor III

I installed a brand new 310 mSATA 80 GB SSD into my new Lenovo Thinkpad X220 (Windows 7 professional) yesterday, with the latest BIOS. Everything seemed fine at first. Tried to move Windows 7 OS from the spinning HDD to the mSATA SSD using the intel data migration software. The software reported a disk error (as I remember, the error was supposed to on HDD not SSD), and prompt me to run CHKDSK /r. But after I ran CHKDSK /r (which took a long time), and rebooted the computer, the 80 GB SSD was shown to have only 8 MB capacity.

The SSD is recognized by the BIOS with correct product code (SSDMW4MF080G2). Rebooting the computer (which now take a couple of minutes before it even gets to OS initiation) will sometimes reset the mSATA 80 GB to the correct size (diskpart reports 74GB). But the SSD cannot be initiated (using Disk Management) or partitioned (using DISKPART). There was one time that the computer saw the SSD as 74GB, but after wakeup from hibernation the SSD size became 8 MB. I can created a partition on the 8 MB volume, but even the 8MB cannot be formatted.

I have seen some posts reporting 8 MB error on 320 SSD. I wonder if any 310 SSD owner have had similar problems?

7 REPLIES 7

idata
Esteemed Contributor III

An Update.

The replacement 310 mSATA SSD came on Monday. Installed, and it has been running smoothly for 6 days. Everything is fine so far.

idata
Esteemed Contributor III

Any Intel SSD could potentially fail with an 8MB capacity signature due to various reasons. The recent firmware update for the 320 series 8MB failure is specific to 320 and 320 only and is completly unrelated to any 8MB failures that may bee seen on other versions of Intel SSDs. I would not expect to see a firmware update coming to address 8MB failure seen on previous gen SSDs. In the case of your particluar 310 failing I would recommend submitting for RMA.

idata
Esteemed Contributor III

I've also got the BAD_CTX 8MB bug in my Intel 310 mSATA SSD! It was only 2 days old when it died 😞 I tried doing a Secure Erase using the Intel SSD Toolbox, but it said my device is frozen, and since it is an mSATA device and therefore inside my laptop, I'm not even sure if it can handle being unplugged & plugged back in while Windows is running! And since I don't live in USA it is difficult for me to send it back to Intel for RMA.

So I will try the other Secure Erase methods:

Cheers,

Shervin.