cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Need Help Installing Windows 7 on a 535 SSD

IOsma1
New Contributor

Hello everyone

I just bought an Intel 535 240Gb SSD to replace the original HDD on my Dell Precision M6600 that suddendly died a month ago... I installed the new SSD, changed the SATA configuration to AHCI and then, when running the Windows 7 installer, the SSD won't show in the drive list to install Windows. I tried changing the BIOS configuration back from ACHI to SATA (Which basically runs the SSD as IDE) and then the drive is shown in the Windows installation, I went on and installed the OS but after that, the performance of the new SSD is very erratic, random and won't just let me do anything in Windows!.

I tried to look for the drivers for this SSD but it seems that Intel don't share this besides the "Intel Migration Software" which actually comes in the CD included in the box, but this will only help me migrating data from an innitial drive to the new SSD, but as the originial HDD is dead, I'm basically installing it as a new drive, which means the provided software won't help...

I'd appreciate if anyone could help me install this drive properly

3 REPLIES 3

jbenavides
Valued Contributor II

Hello Osma,

The Intel® SSD 535 Series is a Sata 6 Gb/s drive and complies with current standards, here are some recommendations that may help you solve compatibility issues with older PC's:

- Contact the http://www.intel.com/support/oems.htm Computer Manufacturer Support and make sure you are using the most recent BIOS for your system.

- Confirm you are connecting the drive to the main SATA slot of the computer.

- Set the chipset to AHCI if possible, if it does not work then try it in Legacy mode.

- The SSD itself does not require any drivers, it is a raw device that communicates directly with the Storage controller. You may contact Dell to obtain drivers for your storage adapter and check if that helps.

- Check with Dell if your system supports Devsleep. The Intel® SSD 535 series is a low power consumption device, normally used with newer Laptops and Ultrabooks. Some systems that do not support Devsleep may have issues working with the new technology of the drive.

Let us know if this helps, or if the issue persists after these actions so we can provide further instructions.

Thank you Jonathan for your prompt answer

Following your comments, I've installed the SSD in the main HDD Bay, actually I tried removing the "secondary" HDD and setting the SATA mode to AHCI in the most recent version of the BIOS... this way, the Windows 7 installation identifies the drive (which didn't happen before updating the drive's firmware) but it states that the drive cannot be used to install Windows 7 as it needs the proper signed drivers before going any further... If you happen to have this, plase share.

So, If I go back to BIOS and set the SATA mode to ATA, then the Windows installer will identify the SSD and will let me go on with the installation, I tried running the Intel SSD Toolbox (can't remember the right name now) and verify that the configuration is optimal, but as I stated before, the performance in Windows is very erratic: it boots up quickly (20-25 secs) then in Windows it just works properly for 30 seconds and then hangs for the next 30 seconds.

Now going back to your comments, I've seen in Dell support blogs that the users have had this same issue with different SSD's in different models so Dell releases their own SSD firmware for Kingston, Sandisk, Samsung and other I can't remember but NOT for Intel (lucky me!) which is weird as both companies are allies.

So bottomline, I'm asking Dell if they can provide any support installing this drive properly and if my laptop supports Devsleep as you state... BTW I think that this problems that users may experience for installing the drive in systems that are not compatible with this technology should be stated at the very cover of the INTEL SSD BOX, as many consumers like me look for SSD's to install on relatively old setups like mine.

So far I've wasted so much time on this that I think I'll stop buying from Intel or Dell, or both, but the rearch at the end will tell.

Thanks again for your support, will keep you posted with my advance.

IOsma1
New Contributor

Just a follow up on my previous comment, I got in touch with Dell support service and the guy didn't know about this Devsleep technology... so in other words, he told me that I can't expect (fairly) newer SSD's from intel to run on Dell's systems...