cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Need Latest 02M3 Firmware for X-25-M 80GB

idata
Esteemed Contributor III

I get an error from the SSD Optimizer in the Intel SSD Toolbox to update my drive's firmware; the utility will not run. It says I have the old firmware and informs me I need to update (the drive's firmware).

Intel Product Change Notification number 110343-00, dated December 3, 2010, tells me that the current firmware (for this drive) is version 02M3, not the version 02HD as is in the ISO update on the Intel site and is noted at the latest version of the firmware (110902HD88208850.iso).

The Intel SSD Toolbox "View Drive Information" confirms the firmware is version: 2CV102HD.

The disk created from the ISO file also confirms the firmware is version 02HD and will not update the SSD drive.

I need to update the firmware to version 02M3 to allow the SSD Optimizer to run.

I am running XP media Center Edition with all the latest patches and upgrades. No other problems with the drive or OS.

Please help.

Thanks!

38 REPLIES 38

idata
Esteemed Contributor III

Infocus, you are correct that there are no TRIM drivers (or whatever it is) on Windows XP, and I have never heard of them being able to be installed on XP, regardless of the source.

You do bring up an interesting point, whether or not the Toolbox has it's own "Trimming" functionality built into it, and I am just not 100% certain about that. I would think it must have it as part of the Toolbox, otherwise the User Guide for the Toolbox would (should) specify that it won't work on OS's that do not have TRIM capability.

Perhaps the Moderators could answer this question for us.

idata
Esteemed Contributor III

No ,the toolbox does not supply Trim drivers.Those drivers have to be applied during a Windows 7 install.You're correct about Windows XP.I take it thats the operating system barbara has.I'll look around the the computer sites for a work around.I think there is a 3rd party tool ,but I don't remember the name.I do know she has the the latest firmware.

idata
Esteemed Contributor III

Infocus, My last post was not well written, I did not get my point about TRIM and the Toolbox right. So...

Windows 7 and I think Vista currently, has drivers to send the TRIM command to SSDs. The Intel SSD Toolbox, with it's SSD Optimizer, performs a similar operation, to quote from it's description: "Optimizes Intel 34nm SSDs using Trim functionality". So, what does that mean?

+ Does the SSD Optimzer use the Windows 7 TRIM command to do it's work?

I don't know.

+ Does the SSD Optimizer have a similar or identical TRIM command built into it to do it's work?

I don't know, but I suspect it does.

+ Does a TRIM command sent from Windows "Trim" the entire SSD, that is, make all available but unusable space, useable, or just one deleted file's pages or blocks?

I don't know.

+ Does the Intel SSD Optimizer function Trim the entire SSD, as described above?

I would say yes.

+ How does the Intel SSD Optimizer function accomplish it work, as I assumed above, via one or multiple TRIM commands, or in it's own proprietary way?

I don't know, but I think it is the latter.

I do know there is a lot to learn about SSD's and the TRIM command, and I am trying to study that now.

Also, yes Barbara does use Win XP. As far as I know, there is an SSD erase tool generally available, but that does not do what TRIM does, that tool wipes the entire drive clean as in a new state, that is not what she needs to do at all. She is having a problem with the Toolbox, which is not allowing her to run the Optimizer, and mistakenly thought it was due to incorrect firmware, which is not the case.

idata
Esteemed Contributor III

The truth is ,if your BIOS is set properly,and that means ICH10R southbridge(SATA raid/ahci)set to AHCI.And your SATA PORT 0-3 is set to Legacy,(due to the fact that all Intel SSD's are a Legacy product) and you apply the Intel R6 Controller Drivers during Win 7 installation ,you won't need the tool kit.The drivers produce the Trim command.The tool kit was truly created for Intel's G1 SSD's which do not have the ability to perform Trim.But most of us use the tool kit anyways,i know I do.

Trim wipes the free space newly freed up from deletes and uninstalls.making it available to be used again.To answer question 4 Yes ,from what I've been told the optimizer readys all avalible space in one pass. I don't have an answer to your third question.

Infocus wrote:

The tool kit was truly created for Intel's G1 SSD's which do not have the ability to perform Trim.

no, the toolbox was actually released with the g2's. the ssd optimizer portion does not work with g1's at all. the toolbox was created so that non-windows 7 users with g2's would still be able to have trim-like functionality (the optimizer 'trims' the entire drive, rather than on a per file basis as windows 7 does).